Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appealing My Claim

Rate this question

labonte1000

Question

Hi i have 10% disability for anxiety and 10% for hypertension. I rencenlty appealed my Va rating decision with in the one year. I also put in a claim for ED due to anxiety symptoms. My question here is I am seeing a VA shrink right now, she put me on paxil for anxiety and wellbutrin. She thinks i might have adult add that was never diagnosed from childhood, and she think this might be the cause of the anxiety. Will this hurt my claim at all. I mean since i got out of service in september of 2006 i worked for ten weeks from dec 8th-18th 2007 and thats all. I get really nervous and panic attacks, she thinks i might have a learning disability. Will this hurt my claim at all or could it help it? Will the VA take my 10% disability rating away from me if the shrink says that its from childhood. please help.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The ADD sounds like a pre-existing disorder. I don't like that learning disorder junk. You need your own shrink to write an opinion that does not include some childhood disorder. This is what the VA will feast on to deny an increase or even question you SC. Your problem does not sound like a learning disorder unless seeing letters backwards causes panic attacks.

• HadIt.com Elder

LaBonte, sounds like a caring doc, but, regards VA disability, I don't recall reading where Add diagnosis connects to VA benefits. The media says that Add is becoming a bit more common for both children/adults. Who knows. Do your SMRs or Cfiles show a definite psych diagnosis? If so, thats it for now. Now back to Add, oh yeah, I need caffeine! best to ya, cg

Hi i have 10% disability for anxiety and 10% for hypertension. I rencenlty appealed my Va rating decision with in the one year. I also put in a claim for ED due to anxiety symptoms. My question here is I am seeing a VA shrink right now, she put me on paxil for anxiety and wellbutrin. She thinks i might have adult add that was never diagnosed from childhood, and she think this might be the cause of the anxiety. Will this hurt my claim at all. I mean since i got out of service in september of 2006 i worked for ten weeks from dec 8th-18th 2007 and thats all. I get really nervous and panic attacks, she thinks i might have a learning disability. Will this hurt my claim at all or could it help it? Will the VA take my 10% disability rating away from me if the shrink says that its from childhood. please help.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Thats just the thing i don't think i have it, I received an acheivement medal and sailor of the quarter while i was in and ran my entire shop by myself, someone with adult add couldn't do that I think. I'm going to bring all those paperwork with me in a week. I hope to get this straigned out

They may try to take that rating away. The key word there is try, if they do, appeal. If the therapist used the words "think it is adult ADD not diagnosed in childhood" that statement alone is not enough to rebut the presumption of fitness.

If the VA follows the rules ( I know big If) they have to prove that you had a pre-existing condition. I tried to pull up the exact text from the CFR but the site is having problems.

Best regards,

Tyler

Hi i just met with the shrink today, Shes says I don't have ADD. Like I told her it's hard for me to read and remember things because of my anxiety and always worrying. She says i have generalized anxiety disorder and soacial anxiety disorder. So that was kind of good news, I guess