Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart

Rate this question

Wings

Question

I was wounded in Viet Nam in the 60's. Since my medical records could not be located I did not receive the Purple Heart.

However I got a copy of my C files today and there are my medical records indicating my injuries from a satchel charge with powder burns to the face and eyes. The 67th Evac Hospital is stamped on the record along with a Captain's signature on both pages.

Is this good enough to get me the Purple Heart and if so what do I need to do?

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was wounded in Viet Nam in the 60's. Since my medical records could not be located I did not receive the Purple Heart.

However I got a copy of my C files today and there are my medical records indicating my injuries from a satchel charge with powder burns to the face and eyes. The 67th Evac Hospital is stamped on the record along with a Captain's signature on both pages.

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

Ref: Paragraph 2-8, AR 600-8-22

G. Any member of the U.S. Army who believes that he or she is eligible for the Purple Heart, but through unusual circumstances no award was made, may submit an application through military channels, to Commander, PERSCOM, ATTN: TAPC PDA, Alexandria, VA 22332-0471. Application will include complete documentation, to include evidence of medical treatment, pertaining to the wound.

The AR is available on the web.

Good luck...

uhh...I'll look for the procedure for separated individuals, sorry.

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

Ruff, Research/Compare Purple Heart regulations in effect at the time of your enlistment vs Current regulations. Use whichever regulation is more favorable to your claim. You will need to apply to the Board for Correction of Military Records. Since it has been more than 15 years post service (statute of limitations), you will need to ask that your records be reviwed in the interests of justice. ~Wings

Search Army Boards for Purple Heart here http://boards.law.af.mil/ARMYboards.htm

Can you tell me the dates of your enlistments; I can search ARMY regulations from 1962 to present. Here http://www.usapa.army.mil/USAPA_PUB_search_P.asp

Edited by Wings

Unlike other awards, the Purple Heart can be awarded subsequent to three years after the "act".

The Purple Heart is not recommended, but rather becomes an entitlement after meeting the regulatory requirements (see Ar 600-8-22). Time limits are discussed at 10 USC 1130, including special requests

by members of congress for extending timeline restrictions for other awards.

• HadIt.com Elder

I used DD149 to have AFOU with "V" added to my records after 38 years. Also got the DD215 that corrects the DD214 received at discharge.

Don

DD149.pdf