Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Is Sc, Hip Is Now Problem, Advice?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

MMkay, this is tough to say, but my hip is connected to my knee. Knee had mensicus surgery, swelling and problems, is SC. For sometime, hip above that knee has been 'snapping' in/out and a bit sensitive. Now the hip is not only sensitive, it started really hurting, to the point of near locking up. This is tough on my heart to mention, but I probably need a replacement.

Anyone have experience to SC the hip to the knee issues? I do have sc lumbar strain, but havent been connected for ddd or osteoarthritis, or feet issues, yet.

thank you from the bottom of my heart and on behalf of my husband too! :) cg

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

cowgirl,

I have a hip condition related to my knee. I found it not at all difficult to relate, I also have a back and ankle condition related, mostly it was due to the altered gait I have with the knee.

This is basis for completely valid claim- SC knee causing hip disability- I have seen also SC hip causing SC knee as secondary. There are plent of decision on this at the BVA- here is one:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files1/0707268.txt

The dopes (my former POA)should have aggresively fought this at the RO level- this vet is now stuck with a remand.

That decision from the BVA states:

"The veteran was provided two VA examinations. In his July

2004 report, the physician noted the veteran's limp and

stated that the onset of the veteran's problem with his left

hip tear was almost 25 years after service. He determined

that "it is as least as likely as not that the veteran's

left hip labral tear is not secondary to the service

connected injuries."

In April 2005, the veteran was again examined by the VA

physician who noted a diagnosis of degenerative joint disease

of the left hip. The physician determined that the veteran's

left hip tear was not service related and stated "I can find

no references of gait disturbances being even a remote

etiological factor in the condition." His report further

stated "It is at least as likely as not that this veteran's

hip conditions are unrelated to his service connected left

knee condition." While the implied message of the VA

examination reports is that the left hip disability is

unrelated to service-connected disability, the terminology

used is vague and not sufficient for adjudication purposes."

The VA quacks (ooops docs) failed to give any probative medical rationale whatsoever to support their opinions-

The BVA catches that stuff and remands as they did here- but men and women this is one more case of a decision that could have been aggressively challenged by the vet rep and even an IMO could have been suggested for the vet to get-

I bet the internet is full of the medical nexus that any joint problem can have as it relates to another joint- especially in arms or legs-

2 of my neighbors- Vets- have knee problems-one is SC and are now having back and hip problems due to the knee problems.

Since the VA holds that IMOs to need to contain a complete medical rationale-this should be the standard for their C & P docs too.

I am poed as always by decisions like this that have continued to cause the veteran a Long delay-I even wonder if I might know this vet from the local VAMC.

:)

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, tough to bring the subject forward, sure impacts my life lately. Have had the 'noise' from my hip mentioned during exam/xrays before. How did you claim for the hip issue? meaning, did you specify hip secondary to knee or, simply claim for hip condition? thanks so much. cg

cowgirl,

I have a hip condition related to my knee. I found it not at all difficult to relate, I also have a back and ankle condition related, mostly it was due to the altered gait I have with the knee.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, better to know the vet than the doc that wrote this! The part that got to me, "REMOTE ETIOLOGICAL FACTOR", say what?

Thanks for the reading, last night and this morning, I have read/reread several BVA cases. what an eye opener! I keep singing the 'leg bone is connected to the hip bone song now!" offkey of course. Sure was tough bringing up my hip issues, here at Hadit, ya sure, I'm a wife and mom that needs to keep a'goin! for a long while!

My hip(s) issues are definitely connected to my sc knee and back. Military service is very physical (walking;climbing;carrying;jumping;running;etc) Whats more, I did this with ill fitting 'GI issue' regular and steel toed combat boots and flat bottom low cut oxford shoes, hours standing with dress high heeled pumps for retreat/parades. Hard work, good work, low pay, but then again, I volunteered!

While back, heard veternarian claim horse linament oil good for aches and pains. But, for my knees or hips, not sure, besides that, its purple! yikes! Least my brain is young and somewhat still together, or is it? Ha. cg

The BVA catches that stuff and remands as they did here- but men and women this is one more case of a decision that could have been aggressively challenged by the vet rep and even an IMO could have been suggested for the vet to get-

I bet the internet is full of the medical nexus that any joint problem can have as it relates to another joint- especially in arms or legs-

2 of my neighbors- Vets- have knee problems-one is SC and are now having back and hip problems due to the knee problems.

Since the VA holds that IMOs to need to contain a complete medical rationale-this should be the standard for their C & P docs too.

I am poed as always by decisions like this that have continued to cause the veteran a Long delay-I even wonder if I might know this vet from the local VAMC.

:)

Secondaries can only be claimed due to established SC disabilities.

It takes medical evidence to make the connection too.