Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I just got the copy of my complete c-file and health records from the RO. In it was my request for hearing loss from 1983 it also had my one sentence denial letter. After reviewing my health records they appear to show that I infact did have some hearing loss start while I was in service but the statement "satisfactory for VA purposes" anyone ever heard of that? Also I am now having a very hard time hearing or should I say understanding even with my aids. I was wondering if I should take these records in and have my VA audiologist that I have now go over them and see what they say? I would really like to reopen this claim because I do believe that this really started while i was in service.

Thanks for all your replys, Stillhere

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

stillhere- a bizarre decision-

You could ask them for a Reconsideration and send them copy of the Discharge exam-

or is this is an older decision you didnt appeal?

I cant find the rest of this topic-

I wonder if they even read your discharge physical-

what rating did they give for the NSC hearing loss?

stillhere- a bizarre decision-

You could ask them for a Reconsideration and send them copy of the Discharge exam-

or is this is an older decision you didnt appeal?

I cant find the rest of this topic-

I wonder if they even read your discharge physical-

what rating did they give for the NSC hearing loss?

Berta, No rateing for the hearing loss. I am 70% for other heart and diabetes stuff. Do you think it would be a benefit to take these into my present audiologist at VA or go to a private hearing doctor and get an opinion from then?

This from an old denial in 84 that i did not appeal so I guess I would have to file a new claim or file as new evidence.

Thanks for your input.

Stillhere

Did they have a full medical rationale for the "0" hearing loss and back it up with C & P results?

You wear hearings aides- right there that shows the HL is more than "0"- in my opinion-

I would fight this- and by all means if you can afford to get an IMO ( maybe even a freeby from a private doc or even maybe the AVA audiologist would help here)

fight this decision.

Always keep up with that hearing loss!

Before I knew anything about the VA, somebody scheduled me for an appointment when I got home, came up in a few months.

They tested me and I went home. Months later I get a letter awarding me 0%. I let it go because I didn't seek it to beging with and guessed my hearing wasn't that bad...

Almost 10 years later, the father of a football player I coached turned out to be a local VSO and scheduled me without even asking based on what the community knew about the new hard-of-hearing teacher.

He explained that I had to learn to deal with them and should have appealed right away. I got 20%.

Over 20 years later I am 50% and unfortunately will test at 60 or beyond someday. My tinnitus was always denied, ever by by last snake-in-the-grass C & P'er, but finally a rater noted her recommendation but also noted that I'd had no tinnitus upon entry and had an unbroken paper trail of answering positive for tinnitus almost 30 years. I was awarded 10% for it all the way back.

Maintain hearing C & P's every 5 years would be my advice, and request and keep the records.

Thank you to all the replys seems I have been neglecting this way to long. Just recently having a dickens of a time hearing people and work and life in general is sufferring because of it.

I think I will try first with an appointment with my VA audiologist and my PCP and see what they have to say. I will then go back to my outside audiologist and get some feedback and file.

Now is the sticky part do I file new claim, reopen, reconsideration or is this possibly a CUE?

Thanks for all the help, Stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

You will have to reopen...

Gather all audiology records since the 1983 C&P, get another audiology screening and be sure to have the audiologist put in the record that it is "at least as likely as not" that your hearing loss is related to your military noise exposure, then cite BVA Docket No. 91-50 078 where the board found that "a post-service hearing loss may not be dissiciated from service [given that the SMR's showed a change in hearing levels from entry to ETS]." BVA Case

Send in your request for claim, statement in support of claim, and evidence all at the same time. When you send this in, make a statement that you waive your VCAA rights (because you have already turned everything in) and you request that they go ahead and rate your condition based on the evidence you have submitted. You shouldn't even have to have a C&P, because they will have current audiogram evidence to rate on.

I don't think you have a CUE because the reg on assigning 0% evaluations didn't change until 1993. Good luck!