Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Starting To Stink......

Rate this question

Jazona

Question

Men and Women. Something is just starting to rear it's ugly head and I'm asking all of us to keep an eye on it. I'm starting to see, here and there on Vet internet sites, the VA saying that PTSD is curable, or it's the result of our upbringing. I wondered what the end result of 30% of OIF/OEF Vets coming back with PTSD would be, well, it looks like it's starting.

A vet on here, labonte, I believe, had a C&P and the Dr. said their problem was their upbringing. I recently had a Vet center guy try to pull it on me. On another Vet site, a teleconference shrink told a group of Viet Vets that PTSD was curable and that would embark on the "cure" soon.

We need to keep an eye on it and if it is a big push by the VA make danged sure the new vets and us old ones as well, know what it is and prepare for it. We need to formulate ways to combat it and make sure the news media knows about it.

I'm NOT trying to be an alarmist here but rather as with anything concerning the VA, "forewarned is forarmed". They want war on the cheap. They like to mess us up but don't want to pay to fix us.

Just keep an eye out, is all I ask.

jaz

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jaz, just yesterday driving along, I also was thinking about the upcoming PTSD effects as I see young service members returning from the foreign lands. Young families, old families, new cars, blank stares with noisy thoughts. Yes, I suspect this PTSD is going to be similar but dissimilar to other wartime diagnosis's. I am not medical, just a military veteran living in a civilian world of comfort. So, the way I am thinkng, its probably going to be hard to gauge when the effects will show 'exactly'. I am guessing, along with many others, this eras reaction to wartime conflict will show sooner than previous years results in mental health and other physical issues in some servicemembers and their families.

I believe mental health and associated disabilities are no longer a 'hushed' conversation, thanks to valid medical research and media exposure. Even so, this public acceptance of mental health conditions doesnt make it any easier for the vet to get the care until its requested.

After receiving many years of medical care, I believe its best to get treatment for issues as they arise, not later when festering. Its not easy to get treatment, because there is no automatic guarentee its available. So thats why we are constantly here, to get treatment and compensation for what affects us. I certainly don't want to deter anyone applying for help.

Meanwhile, personally I am cautious accepting information from media, be it internet, tv or newspapers as being totally valid. True, the media could change a persons beliefs, but that takes time and effort. Professionals are trained to provide services. I dont have professional credentials to 'search' for information online, there is none needed. Simply look at the ever changing regulations we at Hadit study to get whats due. Maybe we should get a Hadit 'certificated' course going, eh?

So, in my thoughts, once a veteran always a veteran. I too feel I have to advocate for 'new' veterans, share empathy, lessons learned and patience. I do get professional medical care at the VA, but know Hadit veterans and even my VSO truly help get benefits due me. To get the benefits, I have had to present a request based on current policies, new and old laws and regulations. So far as I know, PTSD is still in effect and there doesnt seem to be a 'easy' overnight cure for it. imho, best to ya, cg

Men and Women. Something is just starting to rear it's ugly head and I'm asking all of us to keep an eye on it. I'm starting to see, here and there on Vet internet sites, the VA saying that PTSD is curable, or it's the result of our upbringing. I wondered what the end result of 30% of OIF/OEF Vets coming back with PTSD would be, well, it looks like it's starting.

A vet on here, labonte, I believe, had a C&P and the Dr. said their problem was their upbringing. I recently had a Vet center guy try to pull it on me. On another Vet site, a teleconference shrink told a group of Viet Vets that PTSD was curable and that would embark on the "cure" soon.

We need to keep an eye on it and if it is a big push by the VA make danged sure the new vets and us old ones as well, know what it is and prepare for it. We need to formulate ways to combat it and make sure the news media knows about it.

I'm NOT trying to be an alarmist here but rather as with anything concerning the VA, "forewarned is forarmed". They want war on the cheap. They like to mess us up but don't want to pay to fix us.

Just keep an eye out, is all I ask.

jaz

Edited by cowgirl

• HadIt.com Elder

Jaz

This is the VA anticipating a large number of PTSD claims and trying to figure a way to not pay for them. This has happened before after Vietnam with vets claiming psychological problems. The VA and the military began using the personality disorder diagnosis for those that were not obviously psychotic. Much cheaper that way regardless of all the talk about taking care of psychologically damaged vets. If service organizations did even a half-ass job they would tell vets with PTSD what to say or not say at these C&P exams. If you mention any problems with drugs, school discipline or familiy problems you will probably get tagged with a PD. Even if I smoked a single joint in high school, or had a school yard scrap I would not tell the VA. I would say I loved my parents and they were the best in the world and I loved shcool and wanted to serve my country, and that is all about my childhood I would mention. I never felt anxious or depressed or even got a parking ticket.

• Founder

secy nichlson floated this awhile back

did a search on google using the search

ptsd + curable + "veterans affairs"

here are the results

i sure hope this does not mean there are going to be any more hoops for us to jump through in the future, i believe that they may break ptsd down into a couple of categories one may be curable, but maybe not.

for warned is for armed or something to that effect. let's keep on our eyes on it and if need be i will open a separate forum for this.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks TBird for being an angel here for us, ((\ O /)) - best to ya, cg

secy nichlson floated this awhile back

did a search on google using the search

ptsd + curable + "veterans affairs"

here are the results

i sure hope this does not mean there are going to be any more hoops for us to jump through in the future, i believe that they may break ptsd down into a couple of categories one may be curable, but maybe not.

for warned is for armed or something to that effect. let's keep on our eyes on it and if need be i will open a separate forum for this.

• HadIt.com Elder

I do believe that PTSD is treatable and the sooner the tretment begins the better. As TBird has made the Motto here "Knowledge is Power" I had Panic Disorder for over 22 years before it was even diagnosed.

I also believe that even good treatment is not a cure it just helps to know what you are up against and cut down and manage symptoms.

By the way they have been saying this stuff since I started going to the VA in 1991 and I have not yet met a Vet with full blown TSD who was cured. Think about it.