Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Required Ptsd Re-evaluations

Rate this question

jessejames

Question

I read where the Vet's Commission has suggested a REQUIRED re-evaluation for PTSD every 2 years or whatever. Congress IS going to approve this it seems: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/washin...s.aspx?id=75895

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfJAN08/nf012508-9.htm

"“A lot of veterans would view these reviews as an attempt to take away their benefits,” said Gerald Manar, deputy director of the VFW’s national veterans service.

Researching for the commission, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommended case by case determinations of whether veterans need follow-up exams.

However, the benefits commission felt that required reevaluations for some types of disabilities, particularly mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, would ensure that those needing regular check-ups didn’t slip through the cracks, said retired Lt. Gen. James Scott."

This MAY sound good or ok to some, but how about those of us who are under regular treatment from VA Psychiatrists now and have tried ALL their medications and treatments, with the exception of Shock Therapy, which I hear they are considering now...you know like they did in the old days to those in Insane Asylums to calm them down. The Psychiatrist who I see EVERY 3 months at the VA is the same one who does C%P Evaluations at times. If someone has gotten 100% and dropped out of VA appointments for PTSD, then fine, re-evaluate them, but the only reason I can see for a Blanket re-evaluation is to TAKE AWAY Benefits, period...they have tried everything else to get them, so now they will finally remove some off VA Disability with Phomy Examinations created for one purpose! This makes me so mad, I couldn't sleep last night because of anxiety of not being able to work and no way to support my family if they do this to me. IF they do this, the Suicide rate among PTSD veterans will soar. Please write your Congressperson and demand a Case by Case Basis of PTSD re-evaluation if they must do this!

By the way, no where did I read about the Vet's Commission conclusion in their Study that Veterans Disability payments be raised immediately by 25%......WHY are they NOT pushing this??????????

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had to beg and complain to get psychotherapy that I was recommended for. Because I have PTSD the psychologist who treated me (with pyscotherapy)refused to treat me any longer. I had to be treated by some one on the PTSD Team and there was no one.

I got a case worker who got me therapy sessions with a social worker.

I saw the Chief of the PTSD Team to see if he could recommend any new treatment and said we were doing all we could. I need to go see him again.

Its gonna be interesting to see how this P&T thing works? I have a little bit warm and fuzzy due to two additional mental issues all of them are at 70.

This is crazy crap. Ass Backwards instead of fixin somthing that was broke, they decide to go find some thing else and break it also. %$#^& Pathetic idiots but like I say lower your expectations and they wont let ya down :o

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't suffer from PTSD, but I am trying to get SC'd for MDD secondary to 15 years of chronic pain, and the currently in progress LOU of my lower extremities and bladder function. I'm in the minority on this one, too. At this point in time, I don't have a problem with the idea periodic reviews. If you are truly ratable to a particular percentage, then you shouldn't have a problem with it, either. It has been stated, time and time again, that getting and keeping a SC'd rating from the VA is like having a job. This is just another day at work for us.

What I do have a problem with is something that has already been mentioned. That is the fact that VA has a backlog of around a half a million cases that there is no way they can get to ina timely fashion. How much more will this backlog the system? They just got authorization to hire a few thousand more raters, which will take them about two years to get up to speed to be effective, which is just about the time that this new backlog will take effect. What they need to do is revise the rating criteria so that the 100% rating is more readily attainable and less vets will have to file for IU. The way I see it, that solves about 70% of the problem right there. Then they can periodically review the 100% guys to make sure that they are still ratable at 100% and not a immediate danger to themselves or others. This should be waived, of course, if the vet is receiving regular treatment through the VA's "top-notch" PTSD program.

I have NO issue with periodic reviews, I do have issues with STUPIDITY. I am 100% PTSD from 1994, I have been in every program offered and tried every medicine offered with the exception of shock therapy....which I will refuse! Why should I have a Review to determine my Disability rating when I am being seen by the VERY same Psychiatrist every 3 months who does C&P's and will assumedely will be doing the Reviews. If a person is in no treatment and the VA has NO idea how the person is doing, fine.....do a Periodic Review on that person...but don't waste my time, the VA's time and money to review me when I am already being reviewed every 3 months. I have no fear of LEGIMATELY losing my rating, I do fear a Blanket Order to review and drop as many people as possible....even if they know you will win on Appeal after waiting 3-5 years. I have NO trust in the VA system, NO trust for the cowards running our government who had other Priorities when called to serve our country. If it walks like a Duck, it is a Duck.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am like you Jesse I haven't missed a VA appt in 5 years my shrink is Chief of the Clinic he's tried everything on me they hospital refused to admit me for inpatient there excuse was I was to sick to be in the hospital the dom anyway it isn't like there is going to be a magic cure anytime soon...and if there is can they make the Post Office rehire me? lol

First off, let me be upfront in that all my SC medical problems are physical. I lack the perspective to truely appreciate what Vets with Cognative/social/fight-flight impairments (I hate the term mental disability/disorder) are going through.

I think it is logical to say "we should re-evaluate every 2 years" HOLD ON LET ME FINISH BEFORE LIGHTING UP MY WORLD.

With any disability, treatment will improve some individuals, others, even with treatments that would work for most of the population will get worse. Everyone should be rated fairly, completely and in a timely manner. I don't want anymore than what is due me by law.

Fairly, completely and in a timely manner is the problem. Until the culture of adversarial BS is replaced with an attitude of doing everything that it can (within the law) for veterans we will have problems. As long as someone in VA is trying to keep things within a budget, we will be shortchanged. The cost of veterans programs should be an entitlement program and not subject to the constraints of a yearly budget. If they must have a budget overstate it by half and return the balance at the end of the fiscal year (not any goofier than how they operate now).

Before they start adding cycles of re-evaluation to the process they need to start completing the backlogged work they have now.

Unfortunately, they will probably cherry-pick through the Veterans Benefits Commission recomendations and only implement things they think will save money.

If anyone was seriously thinking about this 25% accross the board increase it should have been bundled into this Economic Stimulus Package (good for vets - good for the economy).

Well sorry for the rant, I dont think being re-evaluated is in itself wrong what I am worried about is them moving toward a policy of accept our treatment or we will severe your benefits. I had my share of compulsory medicine in the Army.

Best regards,

Tyler

Good well thought out post. However, the key is this statement your made: Everyone should be rated fairly, completely and in a timely manner

The VA along with thousands of other disability programs (insurance companys) have a problem with this. None of them appear to be willing to do this and only use such a lawful system to decrease or remove payments. Keep in mind THAT IF YOU SUBMIT A CLAIM FOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY, YOU HAVE SUBMITED A CLAIM AGAINST THE U.S. GOVERNMENT. They (congress) do not preceive it to be earned benefits. Rather it is a claim to remove monies from their hands. Monies that they could use on pork projects which will insure their relection during the next election cycle. A claim against the government that is all it is.