Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Required Ptsd Re-evaluations

Rate this question

jessejames

Question

I read where the Vet's Commission has suggested a REQUIRED re-evaluation for PTSD every 2 years or whatever. Congress IS going to approve this it seems: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/washin...s.aspx?id=75895

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfJAN08/nf012508-9.htm

"“A lot of veterans would view these reviews as an attempt to take away their benefits,” said Gerald Manar, deputy director of the VFW’s national veterans service.

Researching for the commission, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommended case by case determinations of whether veterans need follow-up exams.

However, the benefits commission felt that required reevaluations for some types of disabilities, particularly mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, would ensure that those needing regular check-ups didn’t slip through the cracks, said retired Lt. Gen. James Scott."

This MAY sound good or ok to some, but how about those of us who are under regular treatment from VA Psychiatrists now and have tried ALL their medications and treatments, with the exception of Shock Therapy, which I hear they are considering now...you know like they did in the old days to those in Insane Asylums to calm them down. The Psychiatrist who I see EVERY 3 months at the VA is the same one who does C%P Evaluations at times. If someone has gotten 100% and dropped out of VA appointments for PTSD, then fine, re-evaluate them, but the only reason I can see for a Blanket re-evaluation is to TAKE AWAY Benefits, period...they have tried everything else to get them, so now they will finally remove some off VA Disability with Phomy Examinations created for one purpose! This makes me so mad, I couldn't sleep last night because of anxiety of not being able to work and no way to support my family if they do this to me. IF they do this, the Suicide rate among PTSD veterans will soar. Please write your Congressperson and demand a Case by Case Basis of PTSD re-evaluation if they must do this!

By the way, no where did I read about the Vet's Commission conclusion in their Study that Veterans Disability payments be raised immediately by 25%......WHY are they NOT pushing this??????????

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jesse, I agree, if a veteran has been medically sc for a medical condition, gets or has gotten care somewhere, va or privately, re evaluation exams should be 'exempt'. Pandoras box shouldnt be re-opened at any time, "cause I said so!" (yup, I'm a determined salty ole veteran cowgirl and Mom here!) Thanks for the heads up and I send you calm, peaceful thoughts for you&your family. Best to ya, cg

I read where the Vet's Commission has suggested a REQUIRED re-evaluation for PTSD every 2 years or whatever. Congress IS going to approve this it seems: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/washin...s.aspx?id=75895

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfJAN08/nf012508-9.htm

""A lot of veterans would view these reviews as an attempt to take away their benefits," said Gerald Manar, deputy director of the VFW's national veterans service.

Researching for the commission, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommended case by case determinations of whether veterans need follow-up exams.

However, the benefits commission felt that required reevaluations for some types of disabilities, particularly mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, would ensure that those needing regular check-ups didn't slip through the cracks, said retired Lt. Gen. James Scott."

This MAY sound good or ok to some, but how about those of us who are under regular treatment from VA Psychiatrists now and have tried ALL their medications and treatments, with the exception of Shock Therapy, which I hear they are considering now...you know like they did in the old days to those in Insane Asylums to calm them down. The Psychiatrist who I see EVERY 3 months at the VA is the same one who does C%P Evaluations at times. If someone has gotten 100% and dropped out of VA appointments for PTSD, then fine, re-evaluate them, but the only reason I can see for a Blanket re-evaluation is to TAKE AWAY Benefits, period...they have tried everything else to get them, so now they will finally remove some off VA Disability with Phomy Examinations created for one purpose! This makes me so mad, I couldn't sleep last night because of anxiety of not being able to work and no way to support my family if they do this to me. IF they do this, the Suicide rate among PTSD veterans will soar. Please write your Congressperson and demand a Case by Case Basis of PTSD re-evaluation if they must do this!

By the way, no where did I read about the Vet's Commission conclusion in their Study that Veterans Disability payments be raised immediately by 25%......WHY are they NOT pushing this??????????

Edited by cowgirl

First off, let me be upfront in that all my SC medical problems are physical. I lack the perspective to truely appreciate what Vets with Cognative/social/fight-flight impairments (I hate the term mental disability/disorder) are going through.

I think it is logical to say "we should re-evaluate every 2 years" HOLD ON LET ME FINISH BEFORE LIGHTING UP MY WORLD.

With any disability, treatment will improve some individuals, others, even with treatments that would work for most of the population will get worse. Everyone should be rated fairly, completely and in a timely manner. I don't want anymore than what is due me by law.

Fairly, completely and in a timely manner is the problem. Until the culture of adversarial BS is replaced with an attitude of doing everything that it can (within the law) for veterans we will have problems. As long as someone in VA is trying to keep things within a budget, we will be shortchanged. The cost of veterans programs should be an entitlement program and not subject to the constraints of a yearly budget. If they must have a budget overstate it by half and return the balance at the end of the fiscal year (not any goofier than how they operate now).

Before they start adding cycles of re-evaluation to the process they need to start completing the backlogged work they have now.

Unfortunately, they will probably cherry-pick through the Veterans Benefits Commission recomendations and only implement things they think will save money.

If anyone was seriously thinking about this 25% accross the board increase it should have been bundled into this Economic Stimulus Package (good for vets - good for the economy).

Well sorry for the rant, I dont think being re-evaluated is in itself wrong what I am worried about is them moving toward a policy of accept our treatment or we will severe your benefits. I had my share of compulsory medicine in the Army.

Best regards,

Tyler

Re: "I think it is logical to say "we should re-evaluate every 2 years" HOLD ON LET ME FINISH BEFORE LIGHTING UP MY WORLD." -71M10-

I also think that is reasonable, BUT, like you my problems are not with PTSD; consequently, I don't fully

appreciate what those that do went through to gain the benefits they now have. All my ailments are tangible and easily proven--the PTSD folks struggle to prove their disabilities.

I'm not critizing your position; I just think that with the VA's current problems the fairness of the process would be questionable...

Ron

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

Re: "Researching for the commission, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommended case by case determinations of whether veterans need follow-up exams.

However, the benefits commission felt that required reevaluations for some types of disabilities, particularly mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, would ensure that those needing regular check-ups didn't slip through the cracks, said retired Lt. Gen. James Scott."

Ha...ha...ha. This reminds me of when I was in a small finance office in 1974 while serving in Germany. We discovered we had erroneously paid ~60 soldiers Foreign Duty Pay for more than two years. The notice of indebtedness (which I authored) began, "In order to better serve you and ensure you are paid correctly, we have audited our accounts and found that you owe..." There also were a few that we had underpaid.

BTW, the entire indebtedness was written off by the Army Finance Center.

Ron