Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Required Ptsd Re-evaluations

Rate this question

jessejames

Question

I read where the Vet's Commission has suggested a REQUIRED re-evaluation for PTSD every 2 years or whatever. Congress IS going to approve this it seems: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/washin...s.aspx?id=75895

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfJAN08/nf012508-9.htm

"“A lot of veterans would view these reviews as an attempt to take away their benefits,” said Gerald Manar, deputy director of the VFW’s national veterans service.

Researching for the commission, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommended case by case determinations of whether veterans need follow-up exams.

However, the benefits commission felt that required reevaluations for some types of disabilities, particularly mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, would ensure that those needing regular check-ups didn’t slip through the cracks, said retired Lt. Gen. James Scott."

This MAY sound good or ok to some, but how about those of us who are under regular treatment from VA Psychiatrists now and have tried ALL their medications and treatments, with the exception of Shock Therapy, which I hear they are considering now...you know like they did in the old days to those in Insane Asylums to calm them down. The Psychiatrist who I see EVERY 3 months at the VA is the same one who does C%P Evaluations at times. If someone has gotten 100% and dropped out of VA appointments for PTSD, then fine, re-evaluate them, but the only reason I can see for a Blanket re-evaluation is to TAKE AWAY Benefits, period...they have tried everything else to get them, so now they will finally remove some off VA Disability with Phomy Examinations created for one purpose! This makes me so mad, I couldn't sleep last night because of anxiety of not being able to work and no way to support my family if they do this to me. IF they do this, the Suicide rate among PTSD veterans will soar. Please write your Congressperson and demand a Case by Case Basis of PTSD re-evaluation if they must do this!

By the way, no where did I read about the Vet's Commission conclusion in their Study that Veterans Disability payments be raised immediately by 25%......WHY are they NOT pushing this??????????

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know that i could never convince some of you, but in every denial letter handed down, it clearly states what the vet had to do in order to "win" their claim. That information can easily be had up front by looking at 38 CFR 4 in many cases. I don't deny that VA "loses" records all the time. Is someof it intentional, sure. They have unscrupulous individuals in every VARO. Is this the norm, or how VA intends to operate? Absolutely not. Have some of you had a hard time with claims? Of course, but in at least three quarters of those claims, myself included, it was the vet's fault. They didn't do their homework up front. They didn't go see the docs throughout the years to add undeniable evidence to their claim. They didn't go pick up the C&P report to see the mischaracterisazations that were written, they didn't go get an IMO that would have kept their case from needing an appeal. So on and so on. No, it's not crystal clear, but it gets much more clear with every bit of research I do on the matter. The reason for hadit isn't that the VA is out to get the vet, instead it is to provide an avenue for research to teach us how to play the VA's game under it's own rules.

I don't mean to sound hostile towards PTSD sufferers. I know that it must be mental trauma to get called in for a re-exam. But it is mental trauma, albeit to a lesser degree, for any vet to get called in for a re-exam. I know it always has been for me. And now, the 30 minute car ride to the VAMC causes a lot of physical pain. We're all in this together, and we all need to watch each others backs, but I believe that fighting this on the grounds listed in previous posts are detrimental and paint a negative picture. Focus on making sure these re-exams are proper, and that you have all of your ducks in a row prior to ever being called in for a re-exam.

I know that i could never convince some of you, but in every denial letter handed down, it clearly states what the vet had to do in order to "win" their claim. That information can easily be had up front by looking at 38 CFR 4 in many cases. I don't deny that VA "loses" records all the time. Is someof it intentional, sure. They have unscrupulous individuals in every VARO. Is this the norm, or how VA intends to operate? Absolutely not. Have some of you had a hard time with claims? Of course, but in at least three quarters of those claims, myself included, it was the vet's fault. They didn't do their homework up front. They didn't go see the docs throughout the years to add undeniable evidence to their claim. They didn't go pick up the C&P report to see the mischaracterisazations that were written, they didn't go get an IMO that would have kept their case from needing an appeal. So on and so on. No, it's not crystal clear, but it gets much more clear with every bit of research I do on the matter. The reason for hadit isn't that the VA is out to get the vet, instead it is to provide an avenue for research to teach us how to play the VA's game under it's own rules.

I don't mean to sound hostile towards PTSD sufferers. I know that it must be mental trauma to get called in for a re-exam. But it is mental trauma, albeit to a lesser degree, for any vet to get called in for a re-exam. I know it always has been for me. And now, the 30 minute car ride to the VAMC causes a lot of physical pain. We're all in this together, and we all need to watch each others backs, but I believe that fighting this on the grounds listed in previous posts are detrimental and paint a negative picture. Focus on making sure these re-exams are proper, and that you have all of your ducks in a row prior to ever being called in for a re-exam.

I'm going to assume you have some education or have done some research on the various mental conditions and how they effect individuals?

Not trying to be a smart a**.

You have a strong opinion about this but I don't see any real experience or knowledge of mental disorders. Just wondering where the opinion came from.

I think it's a ligitamate question for the topic.

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

mental problems unlike bad disks, feet, shoulders, arms legs, skull fractures don't have ex rays. range of motion scales etc there is "no concrete evidence" it is all "subjective" there is no wound or missing body part, most "PTSD" vets have lost their lives as they knew them, divorced, lose their home, their children their jobs, many lose their cars, their jobs any semblance of life as they knew it, many tend to self medicate which gets them labeled as alcoholics, drug abusers etc, not exactly the kind of people that the job counselors are going to help get into career fields, so if we get "reviewed" and are determined to be "better" we go from a "living paycheck" that provides us "normal lifestyles" back to lose the hosue and car because being a 'door greeter" at Walmart is not going to make up the lost income many vets with PTSD are a lot more scared of "losing their ratings" than a vet with a 50% award is afraid of being downgraded from 50% to 30% yes there is a loss of money but not the life changing occurence that being downgraded from either 100% or TDIU to 50% or 30% that these reviews will accomplish and yes after they down grade us we can appeal and maybe in 2-3 years a BVA Judge will grant our appeals and order back pay to be paid again in the mean time we lose our homes and lifestyles again and many will again resort to booze or drugs to cope and the cycle repeats having PTSD is not like having a physical injury most vets with PTSD I know would much rather have a lost limb to point to, it's hard to explain to people that your brain got damaged because no one can see it mental health is what it is all sunjective and the VA is "not fair" about it....Ask Nicholson about his comments about "cures" for PTSD there is not one VA doctor that claims to be able to cure PTSD

• HadIt.com Elder

Time...it is a fair question, but I don't see how education has much bearing in the basis of opinions. I was a certified EMT/cardiac tech prior to the service, I was combat medic certified while on active duty, and I was a pre-med major for two years after the service, before switching my major to communications/journalism and earning a second degree in that field. The first degree was prior to entry in the service and was in business. So, so I have the knowldedge of a doctor...not by any sense of the imagination. Does that preclude me from researching topics and forming a opinion on the facts at large? No. Have I done research on mental health? I am married to a woman who has had clinical depression most of her life. I myself was diagnosed with MDD secondary to chronic pain. I have bouts of mental instability much like the ones PTSD patients suffer. I have not held a job for more than six months since I left the army (current employer notwithstanding). I grossly overreact to the smallest if issues to the point of violence more than occassionally. Also, my best friend and my nephew were both Marines in the same unit during both battles for Fallujah. Yes, they are both PTSD sufferers. I have talked them down several times, and I am the only one that these two will talk to, because I understand where they are at when they are overcome by the disease. I have done research on mental health issues for the past 15 years at least, but I am in no way anywhere near the status of an expert. But none of this really matters, because all of you are taking a defensive posture, and it's causing you to totally miss my point. The VA has every right to ensure to it's benefactors that they are not paying benefits to persons who so not deserve them. You can beat this through education. You MUST know what the regs say. You must know what the code says. You must know what the exam sheet says. Moreover, you must take the lead during these exams. You must have the worksheet with you, in plain view of the examiner, as the C&P takes place. If you don't hold them to their own regs, it's your fault if the outcome is less than favorable.

Look, I'm on your side. I don't know how many times I've said that we're all in this together. I just think that you guys are wasting precious energy by getting upset over something that is totally out of your control. You disagree with it, fine, write your elected representatives and your SO's about it. It won't get you anywhere, because the politicians want accountability. You need to be gathering your records, BVA/CAVC cases, info from the regs/codes/manuals in preparation for the upcoming exams. That way, when you do get called in for the exam, you are more than prepared. You will be viewed as a force to be reconed with, and subsequently passed over by VA. They're going to take advantage of easy prey here; the vet that is ignorant of the system. They are going to leave the vet alon who knows how to play by the rules and has this stuff together.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about PTSD except that it is a real disabiliity; therefore, I have no creditabilty when discussing this subject. I abstain from further comment, not because I am fearful

of controversial subjects, but I just don't empathize with the disability.

Ron