Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Required Ptsd Re-evaluations

Rate this question

jessejames

Question

I read where the Vet's Commission has suggested a REQUIRED re-evaluation for PTSD every 2 years or whatever. Congress IS going to approve this it seems: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/washin...s.aspx?id=75895

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfJAN08/nf012508-9.htm

"“A lot of veterans would view these reviews as an attempt to take away their benefits,” said Gerald Manar, deputy director of the VFW’s national veterans service.

Researching for the commission, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommended case by case determinations of whether veterans need follow-up exams.

However, the benefits commission felt that required reevaluations for some types of disabilities, particularly mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, would ensure that those needing regular check-ups didn’t slip through the cracks, said retired Lt. Gen. James Scott."

This MAY sound good or ok to some, but how about those of us who are under regular treatment from VA Psychiatrists now and have tried ALL their medications and treatments, with the exception of Shock Therapy, which I hear they are considering now...you know like they did in the old days to those in Insane Asylums to calm them down. The Psychiatrist who I see EVERY 3 months at the VA is the same one who does C%P Evaluations at times. If someone has gotten 100% and dropped out of VA appointments for PTSD, then fine, re-evaluate them, but the only reason I can see for a Blanket re-evaluation is to TAKE AWAY Benefits, period...they have tried everything else to get them, so now they will finally remove some off VA Disability with Phomy Examinations created for one purpose! This makes me so mad, I couldn't sleep last night because of anxiety of not being able to work and no way to support my family if they do this to me. IF they do this, the Suicide rate among PTSD veterans will soar. Please write your Congressperson and demand a Case by Case Basis of PTSD re-evaluation if they must do this!

By the way, no where did I read about the Vet's Commission conclusion in their Study that Veterans Disability payments be raised immediately by 25%......WHY are they NOT pushing this??????????

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't have a problem with reviews, except that will cost so much money and time that could be decicated to areas that could really use it. The funny thing is that during my tort claim the VA actually said they were not responsible for any damages to me because I already had PTSD and there is no evidence to support PTSD being cured. I explained that I had worked hard to not be a rape victim and to be a survivor and not let the PTSD interfere with my everyday life. I had accomplished that as much as anyone can and there thinking was flawed because it didn't matter if their negligence brought it back or gave me new PTSD, they were responsible. Then, they took to stance that since I already had it they aren't responsible for making it worse. I hate going to the VA and it makes my PTSD worse to have to go, but I will go and go through their exam and do what I always do, answer their questions honestly and go home and wait. I don't have anything to fear from re-evaluations if they are done correctly and rated fairly, that is what I am scared of, the last part.

• HadIt.com Elder

Funny how it seems logical to some that a reevaluation every couple of years would be good. Maybe they could double up and actually do something to help.

My experience with the VA Mental Health Team is that they can find time to see you for 10 minutes or so every 2 or 3 months. For me there was no group therapy although I asked for it. There was no one on one that was only for the ones that they thought they could help them not get 100%. Once you are 100% at my Mental Health Clinic you can have almost any med you want and don't call them or come back if you have a problem

Unlike some of you all I have not been to see a VA mental Health person in over 3 years. My Primary Doc writes my scrips for mental Health Meds and it seems that they are happy with the arrangement.

This is not good advice for anyone just my experience. I actually hate having to deal with the bastards and its best for me to do it my way.

I still go back and knowing the VA they will find plenty of time and resources to reevaluate but they never can help a Vet who needs it.

I still challenge anyone to show me a few Veterans who were 100% PTSD and have been cured by anything the VA has done.

One more thing after you have not worked for over 10 years due to Mental Illness what kind of job do you think that you will be able to find?

Just my thoughts.

So, you see NO Problems in reevaluating mental issues every couple of years. Apparently, you have so much confidence in the VA rating system to do the right thing that it's all Okee dokee to drag some one with a screaming case of PTSD into an entirely subjective exam with a adversarial QTC Contractor that will ultimtely decide if that individual is going to feed and clothe his family.

QTC Contractors, VA shrinks, VA raters, the BVA and the Court of Veteran Appeals will all do the right thing...right?

Well, then, why the heck are you sitting there looking at this Hadit screen? Why are you reading this? According to you, the system is working fine. It's clearly a fair, equitable system geared to aid the Veteran in receiving all the benefit due them. Of course you have been diagnosed equally by several different VA Drs., I mean, the system is just, isn't it?

Of course, everyone knows that you have to rip the scab off often for the wound to heal, right?

You with the physical wounds that show up on x-rays or blood tests have no idea what we PTSD sufferers go through on a daily basis. You can't even possibly imagine what we go through in a VA C&P exam. Hell is a vacation at a French resort compared what we go through. You have no benchmark to measure what life is like for us, so, you are no judge of whether periodic reevaluations will be damaging for us or not.

When you've had a few years "dancing with the beast" come back and we'll talk about reevaluations.

jaz

Hmmm...I didn't see one post here that didn't include a caveat with regard the the post-award testing.

I believe all of them articulated reservations of one type or another. Additionally, not one of the messages indicated that everything with the VA was working fine or even hinted that was the case.

Also, and with my comments above in mind, I am surprised at the sarcasm directed at members who happen to have an opinion somewhat different than yours.

My earlier post follows: " I also think that is reasonable, BUT, like you my problems are not with PTSD; consequently, I don't fully appreciate what those that do went through to gain the benefits they now have. All my ailments are tangible and easily proven--the PTSD folks struggle to prove their disabilities.

I'm not criticizing your position; I just think that with the VA's current problems the fairness of the process would be questionable..."

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

• HadIt.com Elder

Jazona...that's the most assanign thing I've ever read. So you have to have been a PTSD sufferer for many years in order to make a fair judgement in regards to the VA program that administers benefits? Who the hell do you think you are? I'm an American citizen that pays the very taxes that funds the sysytem that pays you those benefits, so I'll pass judgement on it if I damn well please! As for not knowing what it's like to suffer from PTSD....try not being able to get out of bed in the morning because you have no feeling in your legs. That's how I live my life, but I'm totally fine if the want to reevluate my condition every two years, as well. And it's the same story for me, except in reverse. My employer is trying to fire me right now because I can't climb stairs very fast or lift over 20 pounds. What kind of job can I get with the permanent restrictions against prolonged sitting/standing/and walking?

We're all in the same boat. You guys aren't special becuase your experiences messed with your head. All of our experiences are slowly destroying our collective lives. Some physically, some mentally, and some both. So get off your high horse. It is apparant that this will happen, so we all need to get together and focus our energy on making the VA do this the right way. It could turn into a witch hunt to get vets off the PTSD rolls, but only if we let it.