Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Claim And Gaf Score, Advice Please

Rate this question

labonte1000

Question

Hi I for some reason, I never knew my GAF score, and didn't know much about it, and I just found it in my record. I was given a GAF score of 50 with a 10% disability rating for anxiety/depression, where as my lawyer wrote up in my disagreement letter that a score of 50 should be at least 70%, is this true and did the VA, low ball my disability, this is all new to me with the GAF score. Like I said my appealing the original rating, within the year.

Edited by labonte1000

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hi rentalguy,

it says under the diagnosis of my first GAF when i had my initial C/P exam

Diagnosis:

Axis I- 300.02 Generalized Anxiety Disorder

300.4 Dysthymic Disorder

R/O Major Depression

Axis II- No Diagnosis

Axis III- Asthma, HTN?

Axis IV- unemployed, financial pressures, social isolation.

Axis V-GAF- 50

I am also 10% for hypertension. Thanks everyone for all the help, My lawyer just sent me a copy of my notice of disagreement and is pushing for a 70% rating at least, We'll see if i get another C/P, do you think I will?

• HadIt.com Elder

If that C&P was fairly recent I wouldn't look for another one due to a NOD. If that one is a year or more old, then I would look for a new one. Asking for 70% is probably too much, and might make a rater balk. It seems to shake them up when you ask for the percentage that you fall under, which seems to be 50% in your case.

• HadIt.com Elder

Labonte

I think the thing that is hurting you is your age. The VA does not like to rate a young guy as IU. They know this means decades of payments of 100% and that you will never work again. It is a financial decision they make to starve you into finding some kind of work or becoming homeless.

• HadIt.com Elder

John, I don't think he is asking for IU. I think he's just looking for a higher rating on his depression/anxiety. If he meets the criteria for an award of IU, and files a knowledgeable claim for it, however, it would be hard for them to deny him. They would have to come up with factual grounds to do so.

I have had a gaf score range anywhere from 40 to 60 depending on the day I see a VA doctor. I can see one doctor and tell them I am still depressed and they will give me a gaf of 60 and next time I go they will give me a gaf of 45. I have been diagnosed with major depression s/c since 1993 and it took until 2007 till get to 80 s/c and they even said it is tempoary. I just saw a VA doctor last week and he is Chief of Psychiatry and he is going to document my record to state symptoms of PTSD. I was sexually and physically assaulted on active duty and they gave me 10 percent s/c. Over next few years they raised my rating slowly. I then in 2005 was rated for pension for Chronic Adjustment Disorder, and I had to laugh, because they said it was from me not being able to deal with everyday life since I left the Navy. So the VA always contradicts there own opinion, how can you say in one breath I am majorly depressed and in another say I have chronic adjustment disorder non service connected because of the Navy. It is unreal to even fathom that contradiction.