Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Ultimate Question...please Help Me With This!

Rate this question

spike

Question

I have been asking everyone I know who are even officials in the VA. What is the difference between being a "Chartered" or "Congressionally Recognized" Veteran Organization? What are the benefits and disadvantages of each? What is the process for doing both? I know all about the 501c procedure. But can anyone please give me direction on this and where to find the regulations and applications to this. If you can answer this, I might just have to consider you a "VA God", because everytime I ask any official I get the blank stare and a "I don't know."

Motivate me and please advise. I need facts.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I have been asking everyone I know who are even officials in the VA. What is the difference between being a "Chartered" or "Congressionally Recognized" Veteran Organization? What are the benefits and disadvantages of each? What is the process for doing both? I know all about the 501c procedure. But can anyone please give me direction on this and where to find the regulations and applications to this. If you can answer this, I might just have to consider you a "VA God", because everytime I ask any official I get the blank stare and a "I don't know."

Are you sure of your terms? I know that non-attorneys who want to practice before the court of appeals for veterans claims must be employed by an "organization which is chartered by Congress." see rule 46b2 of the Courts rules of practice:

http://www.vetapp.uscourts.gov/court_procedures/Rule46.cfm

it says nothing about "congressionally recognized" organizations.

Edited by entropent

I'm not sure if this will help

http://www.workworld.org/wwwebhelp/veteran...ns_overview.htm

Veterans Service Organizations - Overview

There are many Veterans Service Organizations (VSOs) at the National, State, and local levels. Aside from their fraternal aspects, many offer assistance to veterans with disabilities and their families who are attempting to receive benefits or become employed.

Some VSOs are "chartered", which means they are federally chartered and/or recognized or approved by the VA Secretary for purposes of preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims under laws administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Veterans Service Organizations Topics

This version of WorkWORLD has separate topics for the Veterans Service Organizations listed below.

· AMVETS

· Blinded Veterans Association (BVA)

· Disabled American Veterans (DAV)

· Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH)

· Paralyzed Veterans Of America (PVA)

· The American Legion

· U.S. VETS

· Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

· Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA)

Directory of Veterans Service Organizations

The Office of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs publishes an online Directory of Veterans Service Organizations as an informational service. This up-to-date, database driven website allows you to view VSO information in a variety of ways. You may also search through the VSO database to find information that suits your needs. See the database online at:

http://www.va.gov/vso/

Congressionally-Chartered Veterans Service Organizations

A list of Veterans Service Organizations ordered by date of Congressional Charter, with links to their websites, is maintained by the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs. It is available online at:

http://veterans.house.gov/vetlink/

Recognition of Veterans Service Organizations

The Office of General Counsel in the Department of Veterans Affairs publishes Bulletin 23-0, a list of national, state, and other veterans service organizations approved pursuant to the authority granted in 38 United States Code § 5902(a). This section is shown below.

§ 5902. Recognition of representatives of organizations

(a) (1) The Secretary may recognize representatives of the American National Red Cross, the American Legion, the Disabled American Veterans, the United Spanish War Veterans, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and such other organizations as the Secretary may approve, in the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims under laws administered by the Secretary.

(2) The Secretary may, in the discretion of the Secretary, furnish, if available, space and office facilities for the use of paid fulltime representatives of national organizations so recognized.

The most recent Bulletin 23-0 is available in Microsoft Word format online at:

http://www.va.gov/ogc/docs/23bulletin.doc

The Office of General Counsel also publishes Information Bulletin 2-151, listing veterans' service representatives currently recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs in the presentation of claims before the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

The most recent Bulletin 2-151 is available in Microsoft Word format online at:

http://www.va.gov/ogc/docs/2151bulletin.doc

Contact Information

United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Special Assistant to the Secretary

for Veterans Service Organizations Liaison

810 Vermont Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20420

United States House Committee on Veterans' Affairs

335 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3527

United States Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs

Majority Office

Senate Russell Building 412

Washington, DC. 20510

Majority (202) 224-9126

United States Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs

Minority Office

Senate Hart Building 202

Washington, DC. 20510

Minority (202) 224-2074

Additional Information

The Senate Committee On Veterans' Affairs also maintains a website. Its homepage is located at:

http://veterans.senate.gov/

See also:

Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits - Overview

Source

Information for this topic was drawn from the websites at:

http://www.va.gov/OGC/page.cfm?pg=35

http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=2011

http://veterans.senate.gov/

http://www.va.gov/vso/

http://veterans.house.gov/

Think Outside the Box!

Spike I do not know what you are looking for as far as a regulation. However, if you are speaking of congress, va and service organizations:

A congressionally charted organization, in basic terms means one who congress has found to be fit of performing a specific task with a third party on behalf of the first party. ie.... congress has found that the only organizations authorized to "practice law per say" in defense of veterans claims are DAV, AL, etc... therefore, they entered this into law. This means that if the first party desires the services of one of these organizations, the VA has no say so in the matter and therefore, they must accept the organization as a represenative of the first party (the veteran).

A recognized organization is one, in this case, that has approached congress and asked to be chartered. However, for what ever reason congress decided not to Direct the VA to deal with them but, has said ok you display the same abilities, traits, morals etc... of our chartered organizations, therefore, you MAY act on behalf of a veteran in the pursuit of a claim. However, your participation in the claims process must be approved by the third party (the va) and you will have to meet any other qualifactions/standards required by the VA.

These are laymen's definitions and I hope they do not confuse you more. Chartered simply means authorized in writing by a authority body directing a third party to accept them no matter what, unless that charter is withdrawn. Recognized means yes, yes, we hear your crying and you can go play too but the third party has to let you in the back yard, cause we ain't gonna make them. in.

The terms apply in many situations such as banks, college clubs, hospitals etc....... Now as for something in writing you may want to look at an amendment to that ole document we all rant about or public laws instituted by congress etc...... Like I said the chartered organizations for veterans have congressional papers and the VA MUST allow them to do their job. Others, as long as they play nice the VA will approve them and let them play - but if they pee pee on the door step VA can send them packing!

As always this is just my opinion an you can leave it or take it for I hold no charter from anyone. Tbird has simply recognized me as a poster of Hadit. Wanna see a Hadit chartered person look at ole Pete - if he sayeth you must taketh! :unsure: Sorry Pete just had to punch you here!

P.S. JUST WANTED TO ADD YOU MAY FIND SUCH AUTHORITY SOMEWHERE IN TITLE 2 OF THE U.S. CODE. AT LEAST THAT WOULD BE A STATING POINT FOR YOU. IF CONGRESS CAN DO IT, IT SHOULD BE COVERED IN THIS TITLE.

Edited by Ricky

I am reading and taking this in....I have to do so much research on this. Do you know that I received more valuable information from you two than I have received by speaking to some "big wigs" at the VARO. It amazes me how valuable the network of Veterans here are at Hadit. When you can not get a straight answer jump in the pool of veteran community here...I recommend it. Thanks brothers and sisters of Hadit.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

In addition, I believe that the recognized and chartered VSO Organizations are authorized to set up offices within VA facilities. I know that in the regional office in Philadelphia, an entire part of the building is allocated to them.

As for effectiveness of a chartered VSO, going with the ones with more membership and ones with more influence should help.