Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

? About Major Depression

Rate this question

fogcloud

Question

Can someone give me advise about my MDD? On my entrance physical to the Army in 1968, I circled "depression". The doctor giving the physical asked what doctor diagnosed me with depression. I said no doctor had diagnosed me with depression, but that I have always been depressed with a great deal of anxiety. His answer to me was that "I was not depressed because I didn't have a dianosis by a civilian doctor so circle anxiety". Within the box for "depresson and anxiety" I did circle anxiety within the box and kept an 'X" check mark on the "depression and anxiety box". Well, lo and behold, I have been treated for depression 3 times since my release in 1973. The latest sessions with a civilian shrink has diagnosed me with PTSD and MDD since the age of 9 (1957). I was not in-country during Vietnam, but there were some stressors. These stressors should be in some morning reports.

My question is, would I have a chance if I filed a claim for MDD?

Thanks, Fog.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

This is from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. See http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-...it-rosters.html

Hope this helps...

Ron

MORNING REPORTS are created each morning, as the name implies. They are an "exception based" system, only containing information on those individuals who are not "Present and Accounted for". Among the reasons for being listed on a morning report are:

• Promotion or demotion
  • Being killed, wounded or missing in action
  • Being assigned to a unit, or leaving a unit
  • Going to a hospital for treatment, or to another activity for training

In order to verify that a particular action occurred, we must be provided with the exact unit of assignment ("Company A, 1st Battalion, 116th Infantry Regiment"), a description of the action ("I was wounded and sent to a hospital") and an approximate date ("June, 1944"). Without this type of information, we may be unable to perform a search.

• HadIt.com Elder

Were you treated for depression while in the service? If you were treated on a regular basis for depression since being discharged it would be a better claim. You might have a chance since you did notify them that you did have depression. You would claim an aggravation of depression due to service. If you had filed within one year of discharge you would probably have been approved for depression regardless of what you said on your entrance exam.

Thanks for all of your answers. I was CQ one night and had a run-in after hours with a soldier from my barracks and two of his friends from another barrack. They threatened my life (and other things). I had to call MP's. Next day my Company Commander called me in because he had read my report. He went over my report with me and fixed some of my grammer and such, and then said that this will lead to an Article 15. The Article 15 came and I was the main witness. One of the solders knew me and my wife and told me that they would kill my wife if I proceeded with testimony. It was tough, but I did testify and all three were reduced in rank to Pvt E-1 with loss of pay. It was very stressful. How could I find out how to get the records to this event and the Article 15? I thought maybe a morning report, but obviously I am wrong. Could this be in a unit report that I can access?

Fog

Fog,

John is right it would have been easier if you had filed with in that year. I was awarded 30% by the VA on my first claim and I filed it 6 years after I was didcharged. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. A win can be done if you keep with it. DJ8

Manitou gave you the link for NARA- I suggest you go to their home page and file a SF 180-

I cant tell if you already have a copy of your SMRs or if NARA sent them to the VARO for your claim-

regardless of that- you could re-request them BUT also ask them for any and all personnel records to include the Article 15 and any and all records that pertain to this event.

One of my vets had a disciplinary report in his SMRs that he kept forgetting to send the SF 180 for

-once he got this report we were able to prove that his mental illness manifested itself in service but he was treated as if he had been drunk.

In service SRBs and Personnel records and even disciplinary reports etc can often help a claim to succeed.