Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsiads And Gerd

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Caveman and others.............,

I as well have BE. I request an increase but was denied and still at the 10%. I seen my non va PCM and asked for sleeping pills (ambein) because I was going crazy and very depressed because I would wake up 4 or 5 times a night with this acid reflux and unable to sleep. The doctor didn't even put that in my record but did note insomnia........however, I do have sleep apnea but this is not how it was addressed.

I'm not sure how to address the depression aspect of this, I assume I should speak with my VA PC and talk with her. It is noted a couple times of depression in my records and my VA PC did give me Zoloft but that was primarily for other things going on.

Has anyone had problems or been check with LUNGS with really bad GERD? I think my lungs might be affected somewhat. I do know I have that hiatia hernia which is near my diaphram and I cannot bend over and breathe often I can't catch my breathe either.......

My epigastric pain has made me pull off the road several times......and I have two ER visits because of this pain and thinking it was a heartattack but they VA doesn't consider this a considerable impairment to health?

And if you do have GERD ensure you take your meds, adjust your lifestyle, and for B.E. have those follow up scopes...............

Went for the 2nd part of the C & P today, the upper GI (UGI), Barium esophagram or small bowel series. I dranked a ton of chalky liquid called barium while they x-ray my esophagus, stomach and small bowel.

The C & P Dr. called this afternoon and said that they have some of the test results. Said it will be available for my copy tomorrow at the Freedom of Information office at the VA hospital. She will send her report to the Regional Office that is handling the Appeal.

I am guessing that the assigned rating (if one is given ) will be done by the Regional Office and not the C & P Doctor who I saw.

Any comments on how that works...

The C & P Dr. said that the test shows that I have Bone Spurs, Hiatal Hernia and Reflux. She did not go into details on the level of each. I elected not to ask too much but wait and see what her notes/report said.

Last week she had also told me, that of my two blood counts, one was regular but the other one was low and that I should contact my Regular VA Doctor and review this and request more tests thru him if needed.

I will get a copy of the C & P tests in the next few days and go over it. I am sure I will have more questions when I am finished reading it. Just hoping that after all of this, my appeal will be granted and that I will get a decent %. I am hoping for 20 %. Will wait and see of course.

Got a copy of my C & P exams

under Comments:

"Based on review of his C-file and medical literature regarding side effects of NSAIDs and gastritis and gastroesophageal reflux disease, it is examiner's opinion that it is likely that the gastritis is secondary to his use of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs.There is some overlap in the symptoms of gastritis and gastroesophageal relux disease and the GI side effects of NSAIDs.

It is at least likely as not that the use of NSAIDs has aggravated the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease but the examiner cannot provide the baseline manifestations and the additional degree of aggravation without resorting to speculation. "

I think the line..at least likely as not ...will help me win the appeal.

Any comments

Thanks....

I certainly agree that this will gain you service connection for aggravation of the GERD-if the GERD is already SCed- I noticed no % SC in your profile thing here-

Unless this was a Section 1151 claim- they will then SC the aggravation "as if" service connected under 1151.

"It is at least likely as not that the use of NSAIDs has aggravated the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease but the examiner cannot provide the baseline manifestations and the additional degree of aggravation without resorting to speculation. "

But this also might set up the lowest possible rating-

and they could rate it wrong.

I suggest that you seek some recent BVA decisions using NSIADS and GERD search terms at the BVA web site and there might be some rating info there that would help you-as well as compare your GERD symptoms and affects before and after the NSAIDS -to determine the level of aggravation.