Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsiads And Gerd

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As stated earlier I got my last shipment of Va meds and on my bottle of omeprazole label was typed " this medication is for patients service connected condition. "

I called the regional va and asked about this. They said that I do not have a increased in my va % as of yet. I am still pending on my appeal (nod). They have something in my file on new evidence - he was not sure but thinks it is what I sent in (see earlier post) and that I have a code for the acid reflux, with the code being 7346. I looked up the code for 7346 and it is for Hernia Hiata.

I know that not all codes are equal as far as ratings go. Is this code, that is now in my file, good for Gerd? Should I be looking for another code that could be more helpful for me in the future? If so can you challenge the assigned codes by the VA ?

Any comments?

Thanks again

As stated earlier I got my last shipment of Va meds and on my bottle of omeprazole label was typed " this medication is for patients service connected condition. "

I called the regional va and asked about this. They said that I do not have a increased in my va % as of yet. I am still pending on my appeal (nod). They have something in my file on new evidence - he was not sure but thinks it is what I sent in (see earlier post) and that I have a code for the acid reflux, with the code being 7346. I looked up the code for 7346 and it is for Hernia Hiata.

I know that not all codes are equal as far as ratings go. Is this code, that is now in my file, good for Gerd? Should I be looking for another code that could be more helpful for me in the future? If so can you challenge the assigned codes by the VA ?

Any comments?

Thanks again

Just to update.

Got my meds bill from the Va friday. The omeprazole was not on it as in the past. As stated earlier, the med came with a label that stated that it was for service connection. So now I guessing that my omeprazole (for Gerds) is free.

As stated earlier, they have me coded for acid reflux as code: 7346 in the VA file - found out on a telephonic conversation with the VA Region customer service representative.

So now I am just waiting to see if I will receive a rating and how much. I would find it strange that I would not receive a service connected rating after recieving the med free.

Any comments.

Thanks

"It has been a year since I first filed this claim, March 2007. I just hope all of the evidence is there to win the claim.

Comments?"

If you were able to send them exactly what medical evidence they asked for in the VCAA letter you received a few months after filing this claim and if you also filled out the VCAA ELection form, signed it, copied it and mailed it to them after you elected Box 1 one or Box 2- and if they fully address your medical evidence, then you should be able to succeed in this claim.

Just to update and ask a question;

I called (6/23/2008) my regional VA ( 1800-827-1000) to check on my NOD - form 9 appeal on Gerd as secondary to my s/c knees. I was told over the phone that Form 9 is in the reginal office -claim examiner hands. I was also told that the claim examiner had until June 15 to proces the Form 9 but as of yet there was no information on any action taken. He suggested that I call back in a month.

Is this typical of the VA regional to not meet their deadlines?

What if anything should I do at this point, beside waiting some more?

Any suggestions etc.

Thanks

Edited by 3 years to retire

• HadIt.com Elder
Is this typical of the VA regional to not meet their deadlines? yes the 'deadlnes' are for VA use only and if met, thats good. Constant contact Iris, snail mail letters from claimant are good cya.

What if anything should I do at this point, beside waiting some more? follow up often with va, keep organized files, read up on your claim 'issue's here & everywhere, maybe get an well written imo to shore up your claim.

Any suggestions etc.

Thanks

Best to ya,

cg

My friend Dave got his GERD and liver cirrhosis, and pleural effusions service connected as secondary due to NSAID use for his service connected spine disease.

I was really surprised that they connected the liver and lungs, but it was a very good IMO and C&P that did it.

We used a BVA case to help word the claim.

Sandy