Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Rep Called!

Rate this topic

OIF 03

OIF- what I did the last time they snookered me was-(they made many errors on my $$$ awards)

I wrote to the VARO and just stated that based on their letter of ( DATE) my calculations showed they were wrong on 2 or 3 DIC amounts using the hisotric rate table at the VA web site and that their audit statement seemed to be about 11,000 bucks short.

I told them math isnt my strong suit but that I had enclosed my calculations based on the historic rate tables for last ten years or so-

and that I believed the VA owed me 300-400 bucks on the DIC checks they had sent recently and/or about 11,000 was not included in the large retro check (28,710)regarding an offset the RC demanded they pay me that I had just got(another error- long story there- this was a CUE I won via the Regional COunsel)

They sent both all the money within 3 weeks and a letter correcting the one I got.

These letters that question the fnancial end can go faster than usual claims and NODS etc-

I figured if they didnt not respond in a few months I would just NOD the letter with the audit.

But it only took 3 weeks to get this straightened out-

Tell them why you think they are wrong-make sure they have your dependents listed too-

and refer them to the Historic rate table at the VA web site as your evidence.

I even enclosed copy of my chicken scratch math calculations.

I wonder how MUCH MONEY they save by making these retro errors!

The whole situation I just mentioned involved well over 40,000 and was growing by the month- my money-

and they kept it for years saying it was not mine.I figured- it aint making any interest with VA but I KNEW I would get it back eventually and I did.

A VA lawyer (they can read) read some stuff in my file when I reopened my claim-

and immediately ordered them to pay me what they had been withholding for about ten years.

Every VA comp or DIC recepient should carefully check the $$$$ the VA sends them.

Berta,

The problem lies in the fact that they failed to identify that I am married with 1 dependant. I will file the necessary form (21-686c) and also send a letter to the VARO as you stated I should do. Obviously this effected my retro by almost 3,000 dollars, will I still get that in the end???

Thanks,

OIF 03

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

that is great news, i would wait and get the money in the bank and then you can figure out your retro - i always say if you have a retro coming get the money in the bank and then ask the questions. my two cents.

My VA rep left a voice mail and stated that he heard that I was awarded 50% for my PTSD. I am a pessismist at heart and I have to wait until Tuesday until I can speak personally to him but it sounds legit. It has been a long road but I would not have had the courage and knowledge if not for this site. I still have hearing and back claims that I am fighting and will still draw advice from this site but more importantly I will continue to monitor this site to help other Vets with there claims for as long as the site exists.

Thanks,

OIF 03 B)

• HadIt.com Elder

OIF, I got my increase late last summer, also single rate only. Quickly I submitted for dependents with marriage and b.certificates; being told dependents allowance claim sare considered nonservice. Checking up on status of my claim, NOD for increase & tdiu the 1800 rep said dependents rate would adjust after claim is developed.

Meanwhile, VSO told me an old VARO decided SC claims came first, nonservice secondary. With a new varo, the order in claims is being 'righted'.

I too think that they should have awarded my dependents rate right off since I had to list them when I started recieving services at the VA years ago. Too easy eh? keep in touch with us. Best to ya and dont fergit the 50% benefitsa the VA, state and federal! Best to ya. cg

Berta,

The problem lies in the fact that they failed to identify that I am married with 1 dependant. I will file the necessary form (21-686c) and also send a letter to the VARO as you stated I should do. Obviously this effected my retro by almost 3,000 dollars, will I still get that in the end???

Thanks,

OIF 03

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use