Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recieved Call From Case Worker Today

Rate this question

ruby

Question

Recieved a call from the case worker today. He wanted to know if I sent out the paper work they sent to me. I had more than a week ago to London KY.

Then he started asking me question regarding pain and depression, which I answered. I told him that my arthritis is what is crippling. He asked me if I felt I could work if I didn't have the arthritis, I said yes, cause its true. I can work with the asthma and arthritis.

I asked him if he had my computer x ray records that show my arthritis, he said no, I asked him if he wanted me to send him another copy to expedite my case. He said I don't think that will be necessary.

If we need xrays we will send you to get them at our cost. I said I was hoping to save everyone time and money as my x-rays clearly show the severity of my arthritis.

Should they need them I will gladly send them to him directly, again he said I don't believe that will be necessary.

Then at the end he ask me if I would be willing to go a physicial exam if they requested one, of course I said yes. The sooner the better.

I also ask him if he had any idea of when I my claim would be decided, finanically I am having a hard time making ends meet. He said as soon as they get my medical records, which they VA hasn't sent to them.

I ask for a copy of them a month ago and recieved 2 copies, I think I got thiers, so out to the mail they go tomorrow.

Anyway does anyone have any ideas or thoughts regarding his statement, I don't think your x rays will be needed.

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

We never received a partial approval on the physical part, in fact, we never heard a word until we received the notice about the mental exam, which a few weeks later was followed by the award notice. He filed in September, and received the award notice in February.

I guess there is hope my case is the same, but my luck doesn't normal run like that.

Thanks for replying.

My husband underwent an SSA mental exam, but his challenge is organic mental syndrome, which is based on a physical cause (a pituitary tumor). The exam was with a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. Despite the OMS, my husband worked for several years, but had to resign due to VA-rated cervical and lumbar spine disorders, the main basis for applying for SSDI. He did not undergo a physical exam for SSA (we sent all his VA records, plus private doctor and chiropractic records). In sending in his VA records, the organic mental syndrome was included. He received approval on the first go around, but we hired Binder and Binder LLC for representation right from the start. They sent his doctors and chiropractors an arthritis impact questionnaire to complete, which the firm then forwarded on to the SSA. I really believe this made the difference between getting the approval right from the beginning vs. being denied and delayed during the appeal process.

The mental exam lasted 30 minutes, and included some really basic questions like what's today's date, who is President, who is Governor, tell me your home address, basic addition and spelling questions, questions he said any fourth grader could answer. We, too, were concerned because he was scheduled for a mental exam but no physical exam, but things turned out just fine. Again, I don't recommend any SSA applicant approach the process without representation, but that's just my opinion.

Your comment concerning representation is outstanding advice for anyone considering filing an SSDI claim.

I talked to my case worker the other day, seems the words depression, triggered an automatic comp exam. He did tell me he couldn't tell me if I was approved, however, the doc has reviewed my records and they are awaiting my mental exam next week.

I have no cluse based on what he said if I am on the fence and I need this to help me stay on the fence, or I am approved and its just standard for the mental due to the words depression.

I did tell me that they found my xrays and offered them to the doc but he didn't want them. He said they go by the reports, I told him the reports only state what I have they do not state the severity and only looking at my x rays could you see how severe it is.

Guess I will wait, from my understanding it I should know something within the month.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruby first you need to realize you are dealing with the state agency that makes the determination if you are totally disabled or not, SSD does not deal in percentages the way the VA does it is all or nothing, given the fact you said you were depressed they ordered the pysch exam, they look at all your medical problems because pultiple medical problems will make you totally disabled, between depression and rhuematoid arthiritis who wants to hire you and what kind of work are you capable of doing? Even Wal Mart won't hire a cranky old person for a door greeter so the more problems they have the better in this case.

Now on the other side of the coin the state may say you are not totally disabled you can sit and watch a security monitor for 8 hours a day, well how many jobs are there iin your area for security monitors? You may very well end up needing an SSD attorney and appealing the claim to the ALJ 2/3 of all SSD claims have to take this route, very few people actually meet the requirements for the red book or whatever they call it for the state to award the claim on the initial claim it seems that people that have an easy time with the VA have a hard time with SSD and people that have an easy time with SSD have a hard time with the VA, me I got my SSD in 5 months due to my severe heart disease I met the total disability requirements on three counts 2 failed stents, 2 closed of arterys and surgery can not repair them and am ejection fraction of 25% anything less than 30% is automatic disability. Just be yourself for the exam don't dress up for church and let them know what your bad days are like not your good days.....

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

I was awarded SSD with an attorney in 2005. SSA used the reports in my VAMR from my primary and rheumatologist to award my claim. None of the exams by their physicians were used in the determination.

I ditto what everyone has said about SSA and VA operating under two different systems. They do swap info with one another. But that is the extent of it, as far as any similarities. And, the SSA does not tell you if your claim has been awarded over the phone. You will only be notified by mail.

I know someone, recently, who was awarded SSI (supplemental security income) because the individual didn't qualify for SSD. However, it took several hospitalizations and a thorough right up (report) from psychologist and a psychiatrist for that to be awarded. It was an accumilation of 18 months worth of mental health records.

Ruby, I am not trying to discourage you, and I don't believe anyone else is attempting to do so either. But the reality is that it is not as easy as we want it to be to get our claims awarded by either the SSA or VA. And with each year bringing new issues into our midst, it just keeps getting tougher and tougher to get a claim approved. But hang in there. Sometimes the journey with SSD can be just as long as your journey with the VA. But don't give up. On the SSA web site at http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professional...ultListings.htm you can get an idea of how the SSA instructs its physicians to determine your level of disability.

Edited by luvHIM