Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Total Unemployability And Type 2 Diabetes Rating

Rate this question

Slim

Question

Howdy

I am hoping someone can help me out some. I am disabled out of Viet Nam. I am service connected. I am currently disabled at 64% or rounded down it is 60%.

My ratings are 50% for PTSD, 10% for bilateral hearing loss. 10% for Type 2 diabetes. I think there is 10% for bilateral Tinnitus. I think that is all of them. I have several more that are not rated, even though the VA accepts them.

I was recently put on Insulin for the diabetes. I have asked for an increase in my rating because of this fact. This will increase my rating and I will become eligible for Total Unemployability.

Can anyone who has been in a similar situation and accomplished it give me a hand in doing the paperwork? We all know there are certain buzzwords and phrases that catch their attention. I could use some help in figuring what those words are when filling out this paper work.

I haven’t been able to work for over 10 years now for a variety of reasons. All most all of them are connected with my military service. I have been surviving on my disability pay. I have done all my paperwork so far by myself. I have had virtually no help because of where I live in Arizona. This time it is just too important and I am looking for all the help I can get. If you can give me a hand please post something here or drop me an email

Slim at rapidcable .com

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Thanks

Slim

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Slim-Welcome aboard- many here have had DMII claims.

This decision shows you how the VA rates DMII:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files2/0714849.txt

The insulin should definitely change your rating-

TDIU-have you formally applied for TDIU on the 21-8940 form yet?

The VA will only consider TDIU when the vet reaches 70%- however any vet with any SC whatsoever can apply for TDIU-

Do you receive SSA disability and if so is it for same sa the SC conditions?

Here is the TDIU form-

under Remarks tell them that you are now insulin dependent and tell them how your SC disabilities affect your ability to work-

Like- did the TDIU ever cause you on the job problems?

and would they be documented in your personnel files?

and How do the anti jungle meds affect you- are the side affects causing drowsiness,does the med side affect list say - do not take and drive, etc- stuff like that-

If you have ever been turned down for Voc Rehab due to your SC tell them that too-

The DMII- do you have any other conditions whatsoever that could be directly attributable to the DMII?

Like heart disease, any history of TIA or strokes, peripheral neuropathy, cataracts, High Blood Pressure,

ED, skin rashes, atherosclerosis etc-

tell them this too-

Under # 25 Remarks- state you are attaching a separate page and then put your c file number on it and tell them anything they should know of that renders you unemployable.

"We all know there are certain buzzwords and phrases that catch their attention."

Indeed-the busswords I use are theirs-

I scan directly from 38 CFR and/or M21-1 -right into the Word Doc I am responding to the RO with-the exact copy of any reg that will help my claims right from the very same manual (M21-1) and regs that they use.

As a mil student (I am a civilian) I sure learned that when the enemy drops their weapons,you pick up those weapons and their ammo and use it all against them if you can-

Sameo to a claim- the regs for DMII as within the above BVA case are exactly what you need with the info from your med recs- showing insulin dependence now-to get that rating higher.

You certainly should ask for TDIU which will cover everything at this point.

Here is the TDIU form-

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Here it is-

I have probably sent out more TDIU forms than the VA has in the past 5 -6 years

if you have a rep who tells you that cannot apply with 60- the rep is WRONG and they need to go back to VA 101 school.

By the way- are you still within one year after receipt of the last decision?

And did you NOD that decision?

TDIU_form.pdf

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder
Howdy

I am hoping someone can help me out some. I am disabled out of Viet Nam. I am service connected. I am currently disabled at 64% or rounded down it is 60%.

My ratings are 50% for PTSD, 10% for bilateral hearing loss. 10% for Type 2 diabetes. I think there is 10% for bilateral Tinnitus. I think that is all of them. I have several more that are not rated, even though the VA accepts them.

I was recently put on Insulin for the diabetes. I have asked for an increase in my rating because of this fact. This will increase my rating and I will become eligible for Total Unemployability.

Can anyone who has been in a similar situation and accomplished it give me a hand in doing the paperwork? We all know there are certain buzzwords and phrases that catch their attention. I could use some help in figuring what those words are when filling out this paper work.

I haven’t been able to work for over 10 years now for a variety of reasons. All most all of them are connected with my military service. I have been surviving on my disability pay. I have done all my paperwork so far by myself. I have had virtually no help because of where I live in Arizona. This time it is just too important and I am looking for all the help I can get. If you can give me a hand please post something here or drop me an email

Slim at rapidcable .com

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Thanks

Slim

Slim,

Welcome to Hadit. Berta has your answers. I see the word insulin.

The next, I see you have not been able to work for many years and I

believe I spotted you are living off your social security disability.

You need to get the TDIU form filled out and just put down as Berta

has posted above.

I see you were in Vietnam, were you on the grounds? Agent Orange?

Thanks so much for joining us.

Always,

Betty

Edited by Josephine

Slim,Welcome and thanks for your service, from one Nam vet to another. This site is great and Berta is awesome, with the help here and of course my condition getting worse I am at 70% and did most of the paper work myself with the help here. so if you do not understand something do a search or post a question and you will get help.

Good luck with your claim and if I can help I will pipe in.

Stillhere

Howdy All

I want to thank each and every one of you for both your help and words of encouragement. I appreciate it very much.

I have tried to get help before, both a state rep and one of the Club reps. They were all well meaning and were willing to give me the time they had available. They were all just swamped to put it mildly. Sometimes I would have to wait a week or longer to get a simple answer by email. I finally gave up on them and went it alone.

I didn’t make it clear in my original post that I have been under VA care for going on ten (10) years now. I have been at this same disability rate of 64% the whole time. All the Reps told me it would be a waste if time for me to file total disability, so I didn’t do it.

My original appeal of their decision was terminated about 6 years ago due to failure to respond on my part. What happened was I sent some paperwork into them with the wrong address on it Instead of it being box 6544 I had typed 6744. I never received the paperwork and it never got returned to the VA. I have tried to figure out how to file a motion to reconsider their decision to end my appeal, or whatever you would call that motion, but have never been able to figure out how to do it. I even have a written statement from a postal worker who worked at that post office explaining what probably happened to the paperwork and why the VA did not get it back. None of the Reps I talked to thought it was worth filing and were unwilling to give me any help in trying to reopen my appeal. Needless to say I am not a real happy camper in a lot of ways.

I get a check from the VA each month and they cover my medical from head to foot. Everything I am disabled on is SC. They do not accept my back injury from the handgernade, but they accept the grenade for hearing loss and the Tinnitus. It was a concussion grenade that went off 5 foot behind me and blew me into a wall. That is how my back was hurt. I was treated for back pain like13 times in less than 9 months after I returned to the real world. But the doctor at the separation exam put down it was all in my head. I even listed it on my separation exam. That is why I would really like to get my appeal reinstated. It just irks me that they just arbitrarily decide my back is not service related.

Anyway, I want thank you all again for your help. I hope this additional information clarifies some of the issues involved here. I would of replied sooner, but I was out of town for a few days.

Thanks again,

Slim