Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Get My 100 % Ptsd Changed To P And T

Rate this topic

ironfaux

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are still within the year since your decision you can appeal and ask for P&T, but you probably need a letter like Ricky said. The VA treates a request for

PT& like a claim. You need to show you are permanently and totally disabled. Sometimes after a certain number of years they just make you P&T but I would not wait for that. You and your spouse get extra benefits with P&T status (chapter 35).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 50% rated for PTSD with a GAF of 28% you should be a full 100% and you should request a revaluation today in my opinion.It may take a little while to get P&T at your age.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

From what I understand, it is very hard to get P&T status on a mental condition. This is becuase they ebb and flow, and are not stable like musculoskelatal conditions. I've read some that have done it, but I've also read VA documents and BVA cases that stated what I previously said. Also, P&T doesn't reall mean anything to the VA. Complete protection does not kick in until after you've had a particular rating for 20 years. Anything less than that and it can be taken away.

First off, congrats on your well fought entitlement.

I believe our fellow Veteran is saying he already has 100% and would like to know how to permanently stay at that rating through P&T.

I would file to P&T. But in the meantime, go to all your appointments and do not fall out of the VA system.

thx for the feedback .

i did get a recent release of information from my phd's notes and on the axis it said chronic ptsd ?????

is that "va speak " ???

"congestive heart failure and heart irregularity beating non service (though i think its from the stress"

It could be- you might want to consider getting an independent medical opinion that would show this is secondary to your PTSD-as well as a chronic condition-

if a cardiologist states that the heart problems are due to or aggravated by your PTSD they have to rate this as secondary-

If your PTSD is the sole 100% SC you have and the heart disease raises to a level of 60% or more disabling under the schedule of ratings- if the VA service connects the heart disease due to the PTSD -you are eligible for the SMC "S" award.

If the heart disease causes or contributes to your death-

hopefully eons down the road-

and it has already been found as secondary to the PTSD your spouse will get DIC. Otherwise she will have a heck of a time getting DIC if heart disease causes your death.

I have a claim like that at the RO- havent checked the status for some time-I think it is my weakest claim because I got IMOs for another claim-they have not sent any VCAA letter on it yet-

I stated my husband's SC PTSD put him into harms way.

As a PTSD VA health care patient, the VA caused his death due to undiagnosed heart disease and strokes (documented fact-wrongful death award)because his SC PTSD made him eligible for VA health care.

His heart disease and death was therefore contributed to by his SC PTSD, as if he didnt have PTSD he would not have gone to the VA in the first place.

if I need an IMO for that claim I can get one.

I think they will award on a different claim though.

Dr. Boscxarini has done multiple studies on PTSD causing and contributing to heart disease.

So has Dr, Robert Eliot. (a VA CArdiologist)

I swiped his book from a VA library and sent it to the VARO to support a similiar claim I had years ago.

Ironically it seems this is a claim that the VA itself filed a Motion on to re-open in August 2006.

The VA was more concerned that I swiped the book (I did return it with no penalty to the VA library) than with the fact that this VA cardiologist had documented how stress in autopsied KIA combat vets had caused -in his opinion-severe atherosclerosis and heart disease already and these vets were only in their 20s.

"its turned into the sword of damaclese because i am slated for a review in 2009 and if after finally being able to pay my bills it could be taken away"

I hear you on that but-if you have some retro to spare a good IMO would also set the stage for them to be unable to take it away-

with the heart disease rated as secondary too-

an IMO doc might even possibly find the COPD as secondary to the heart disease as secondary to the PTSD.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use