Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing For Increase Of Benefits.

Rate this question

Gulfvet

Question

I am filing for an increase of my benefits. My primary physician wants to schedule me for MRI of my Back. When I go to the VA physical exam, will they give me a new MRI or use the results from this one?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Probably use the MRI you get but would still have you see a C&P Doc.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete is right. The VA is too cheap to give you an MRI as part of a C&P exam. They will probably just look at your records and ask you to squat and bend a few times and pronounce sentence. If you have any evidence the VA does not have then bring it.

I would bet the VA C&P will be just to determine range of motion and some physical exam. If there are no MRI's or Xrays they won't order them. They are going to look at the way you move and see how much pain you are in when you bend or stand or sit. That is just my opinion from what I have experienced with exams for physical conditions. You exam may last 20 minutes. Don't do anything that hurts you and let them know about it. Like if they ask you to bend tell them when it hurts.

I am filing for an increase of my benefits. My primary physician wants to schedule me for MRI of my Back. When I go to the VA physical exam, will they give me a new MRI or use the results from this one?

I am 40% with my back and I've had two C&P exams at NLR. They will X ray your back and do range of motion. They will also look for pain expressions on your face when you do the range of motion. If you act like it is no problem bending they will take that as you are ok. If you use your MRI, make sure it would be beneficial to your claim. Meaning the MRI needs to show some kind of problem. If not, it will work against you. :blink: Good Luck.

If you use your MRI, make sure it would be beneficial to your claim. Meaning the MRI needs to show some kind of problem. If not, it will work against you. :blink: Good Luck.

Actually, you will not have a choice in the matter. The MRI, if performed at a VAMC, automatically becomes accessible to the C&P exmainer, especially if the C&P is performed at the VAMC. Even if it is not, the RO is able to get your VAMR. The information becomes available irregardless of whether you choose to use it or not. Either the medical evidence is there to support your claim or it isn't. Period.

So, I'm not sure I understand the above statement. Particularly "If you use your MRI, make sure it would be beneficial to your claim."