Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd And Hours Worked

Rate this question

out_here04

Question

I see mention every now and again about not having enough hours to qualify for social security disability. I last worked Feb 05 and it is now April 08. I am in the middle of a TDIU claim and haven't even made it to SS yet. Should I be concerned about a ticking clock on the other side of the government feud for benefits? This may be a duh question but my mind only works so fast and VA has it spinning already. This site is giving me an anchor, so any suggestions, warnings appreciated.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you worked 10 quarters in last 5 years you are probably ok and you are off the clock now that you have filed. There are exceptions but not many.

The quarters do not have to be continuous but they have to add up to the correct amount.

SSD probably would have let you know already if you had a problems with eligibility.

Many disabled live off savings and the help of family and don't file for Social Security in time.

Thing is I haven't filed yet. It's on my short list. Thanks for the quick response as always Pete.

To be safe I would file. It's simple just go to their site at www.ssa.gov

• HadIt.com Elder

This should not be on your short list....3 years, you do not need to wait on the IU from the VA, you need to file ASAP.......get all your medical together and take it to them in a pile and make the application.

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed for VA in May of 1991 and Social Security in August. Since there is so much waiting I recommend that you file for both if you are not working. I found Social Security much easier to work with and did not need a SO either.

If you worked steadily until 05, you are probably still okay - as long as it was Social Security covered employment.

My husband ALMOST missed the deadline. He retired from the Air Force in 1998. After that he went to school, worked as a Graduate Assistant (NOT SSA covered employment) and taught (NOT SSA covered employment).

So when we figured out in June 06 that he met the eligibility requirements (disability-wise), we realized he was a bit past having the required quarters in the PAST 10 years (because of the years he spent in school and Non-SSA covered employment.

BUT they can also go back 12 months from your filing date. He had stopped working in Dec. 05 - and his income was below substantial gainful from August 05 on.

So he applied in June 06 - they were able to go back to August 05 (when he still had enough credits in) and also count those as his waiting months.

Because he had lung cancer that had invaded the heart space -(had attached to the aorta as far back as 2004) - he was approved in 3 weeks - and had over $7,000 deposited into his checking account for retro pay before he even received his letter that he was approved.

In the case of terminal illness, Social Security does a TERI claim - and they move FAST -

Most cases do not move quite that fast.

Free