Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Berta

Rate this question

gdsnide

Question

Berta,

Almost forgot. Me & my Shrink have me at a GAF Scale of 25 the last time I asked him. Would it be better if I asked him to make it lower or what do I do?

Thank You.

GARY

gdsnide

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

JMO

Thank You for the reply but as I posted I made a mistake ( A one finger typer ha) & meant 35.

But, thanks for the advice.

GARY

gdsnide

• HadIt.com Elder

Gary just my 2 cents but for three years my GAF scores ranged from 30-45 mostly 30 and 35 in Apr 2005 they gave me a 50% award I appealed the low ball in May 2006 they awarded the 100% P&T so in my opinion your GAF scores are in the area you need for the higher rating what does your treating doc say about your ability to recover or seek employment now and for the future

my doc wrote annual statements saying he considred me totally and permanently disabled just by my PTSD symptoms alone and that in his opinion I would never be able to return to work nor improve my relationships after dealing with the chronic PTSD for over 3 decades

you go much lower on the GAFs and they will wonder why you ain't locked up lol

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Gary-the BVA web site:

http://www.va.gov/vbs/bva/

has the info on the whole appeals process-

the BVA ombudsman's email addy is in this post

http://www.hadit.com/forums/lofiversion/in...php/t14417.html

I suggest that you send a Cover letter-and list in the cover letter your evidence enclosed-

I always Use for example

Exhibit A-SOC of Dec 2004

Exhibit B IMO of Nov 2004

Exhibit C Rebuttal of Dec 2004

Exhibit D Medical Records marked D-1 through D -150 from the VA

covering (date) to (date)

Exhibit E Medical Records from Private Physician marked Exhibits E-1 through E-16- from (date) to (Date)

stuff like that-it take some time but well worth it-

In the cover letter I state what is highlighted in specific exhibits and then highlight it with a magic marker-

I also use Yard sale bright colored stickers or labels to mark each Exhibit like they do in court.

I put my c file number on EVERTHING as well as a name and address sticker from the DAV, or ADA- I mean the sticker stuff many of us get in the mail from orgs we donate too-I always donate to the DAV -because I do feel their overall org is wonderful- just they have lousy NSOs- and I sure need those stickers anyhow-for all the VA crapola

any address sticker will do- it just beats taking the time to type or write your name and address on everything-

Use Manila folders with tabbed decriptions of the contents also if you feel that will help sort and divide your evidence well-

Make an additional list of the Manila folders and what they each contain.

I forget what else you asked and have to leave the board for a while-and will try to check in later

Oh- I dont suggest asking the shrink to lower your GAF.

I think you will be fine regardless of the GAF score

and then make sure your medical records are in order by date,

and also

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I would say DO NOT ask for it to be lower. However, the C&P needs to follow the GAF. Have you had the C&P for PTSD yet? If not, be honest when you do. The C&P carries weight in your decision, and I know that if you try to make your GAF look lower then recorded, it can cause problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your GAF is plenty low enough for a 100% rating. Other things go into the rating besides a GAF, but it is a pretty good indication of overall functioning. What kinds of meds are you on? Do you take anti-psychotic medications? A GAF of 25 means, according to the standards, that you are psychotic.