VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scooter Vs Electric Chair (no Not That Kind Of Electric Chair)

Rate this question

donews

Question

Ok, I received an electric scooter from the VA about one year ago give or take a few months.

At the time they evaluated me for an electric chair also, but they said I would get more use out of a scooter as at the time there was hope for my rehab to make it easier for me to walk at some point.

Since this time, I am no longer able to walk and am in need of an electric chair as the scooter will not make it through my house. I can only get the scooter through the front door, not to any of the rooms.

Am I sh^t out of luck here?

Someone at the 800# and my VA PCP told me that once the VA gave me the scooter I was on my own, that they will not give me an electric chair.

But I have also been told by my VA cardiologist that they should give me an electric chair as my need has changed.

Anyone have experience with this?

If I know they should be working with me on this, I will fight them tooth and nail, if not I will just have to figure out something else.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems to me that the VA cardiologist should know what he /she is talking about. In any event, a written recommendation/prescription should come from the cardiologist, and be somehow placed in your records. You will likely need a copy to accompany any application/request you generate.

Wish I knew more about this sort of thing.

It would seem that the process should be similar for any device of any significant cost provided by the VA.

Ok, I received an electric scooter from the VA about one year ago give or take a few months.

At the time they evaluated me for an electric chair also, but they said I would get more use out of a scooter as at the time there was hope for my rehab to make it easier for me to walk at some point.

Since this time, I am no longer able to walk and am in need of an electric chair as the scooter will not make it through my house. I can only get the scooter through the front door, not to any of the rooms.

Someone at the 800# and my VA PCP told me that once the VA gave me the scooter I was on my own, that they will not give me an electric chair.

But I have also been told by my VA cardiologist that they should give me an electric chair as my need has changed.

If I know they should be working with me on this, I will fight them tooth and nail, if not I will just have to figure out something else.

all you need to do is ask your pcp for a revaluation of your needs.Then you should get an appointment with the same team that evaluated you the first time around.If your cardiologist put it in the record that you have a greater need it should not be a problem to get the chair they have always been very good about that when I have needed something else.

good luck

Leroy

Guest Vietnam Tanker

My Uncle was in a similar situation, he was given a scooter, then three years later his condition got worse and he applied for and was granted an electric wheelchair, so it can be done, keep on pushing.

when I needed a chair I asked my PC doctor and he put in a consult to the rehab dept and they issued the chair.If you are wanting to use a chair because the scooter wont fit thru the doors then you wont be able to get the chair thru the doors either as the chair is 6 inches wider.I have both a chair (invacare pronto)and a scooter (merit 3 wheel).I use the scooter for moving around the outdoors and going to drs.appointmentssand the chair only inside the house but have had the doorways widened to 36 inch.I got my scooter thru medicare and the chair from VA but it is not difficult to deal with the rehab people.

Edited by admiral7

Don I agree with the Admiral. The chair will be a little wider than the scooter. Maybe you should approach the issue from the need for adapted housing. Just a thought.

• HadIt.com Elder

donews: never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, believe anything you are told via the 800 number. The

VA's lowest grade personnel answer that line and don't have any real knowledge of the VA process. Always file for or make requests in writing cuz you can appeal any decision the VA makes. jmo

pr