Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do You Think...?

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

I have been wondering ever since I came to Hadit.com if there is a differentiation in the handling of claims for those who are retired veterans, as opposed to those who did not retire or serve out his/her entire enlistment?

It just seems that for some on here the process goes a whole lot smoother if you actually retired from the military than if you got out earlier; especially if you separated before your ETS date. I had two enlistment terms. I did get out sooner than my scheduled ETS from my first enlistment. But I served my entire enlistment in the second phase, but did not retire. However, my work history (per SSA is "excellent"...so VA would have to know that me filing a claim for an increase was never about wanting to leech off of them because I definitely made more money working). Maybe they are going to do right by me this time. I don't know.

Maybe I'm just frustrated with my medical condition robbing me of my life and today I'm venting, rambling, thinking too much. Anyway, just wondering what others think about the whole retired as opposed to not.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think it has anything to do with the way the VARO rates the claims, they treat everyone like chit usually

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

I think some of the retired guys just are better about getting records and knowing the system. They know that if they don't have it in black and white the military and VA will deny it. You won't find too many retired guys who did not get an exit physical, but many of my draft age generation did not get one. Big problems down the road when the VA says your records are "silent" on an issue. We are all just &^%$ to these people regardless of how long your served.

Thanks for your responses. I guess I'm just trying to give some justification to the VA's delay that makes more sense. I almost want to say forget it. But then I am reminded that I receive SSD...what else do I have to do?

I guess I just hate when family and friends constantly ask, "Hey, what's up with the VA?" Plus, I have a birthday coming up this month and I have virtually lost pretty much everything. So, I guess it had me thinking..."what do I have to show for my life right now..."

Luvhim : Maybe I'm just frustrated with my medical condition robbing me of my life and today I'm venting, rambling, thinking too much. Anyway, just wondering what others think about the whole retired as opposed to not.

Go to the top of the page

This is not fault of yours the unfortunate issues are this, I am begining to realize the more people are involved with a claim the more complicated this becomes hence the delays ,lost paperwork,unrecognized paperwork Etc.And when friends or people ask whats going on with the VA tell them straight up i have no idea ,i have been waiting for a responce.Also the unfortunate reality is that these people or THE POWERS THAT BE ! Are very much aware of the crisis in our dysfunctional system and choose to do absoloutely nothing to fix it.I am supriised that not even News Media press more attention to this . I hope this helps and by the way ! Happy Birthday

My neighbor- who is also my best friend and went to LAckland with me when my daughter graduated from Basic-filed a claim-same rep as me locally-got a legal VCAA letter, attached his SMrs to the response election form, got a C & P with a more likely than not and 8 months later he got his award.

10% -I think it is way too low but he figures they subtract the comp from his retirement check anyone-no CRSC potential and he is far from CRDP criteria so he figures it went fast because they didnt have to really pay him for the SC.

I mean they do but the retirement check is short from the VA comp.

Still 8 months is fast up here- he already had everything they asked for in the VCAA letter so this is why it went fast-

he already had a few sick calls to the ER as a VA employee due to this same condition so right there-he had a docs statement even before the C & P to service connect his back.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Let me help you with this a little. I am retired with 25 years in the best service in this country, Army (hahahahahahaha). Filed original claim Jan 05, ended up filing formal appeal (form 9) in Jan 06, Today is April 11 2008 and I am still waiting for the VARO to certify the file to the BVA after 2 years, 2 months and 11 days. Hmmmmm.... retirement sure did not make me a golden child - hahahhahaha. The process is just getting you down. rest assured that the only ones that may be getting any special treatment is the current Iraqi/Afghan vets due to political reasons. But take a look at the special treatment - claims are processed quickly but about 90 percent of them quick ones are denials so I would not a really call that "special" treatment. The VA is the VA and to the VA veterans, regardless of length of service, are just a bunch of ole crazy, drunk dopers walking around with their hands out. That is just reality so get that chin back up, face off with them and let them know that they WILL NOT get you down and they WILL treat you with the respect you and all veterans deserve. Hang in there.