U.S. veterans killed or disabled since Sept. 11, 2001, in connection

with military duty became eligible for a full tuition waiver to attend any

of the state's seven public universities. The waiver applies to all

spouses who have not remarried and all children 23 and younger,

including adopted children or stepchildren. In their recent session the Oregon

legislature approved the free tuition benefit. It is available to the

children or spouses of military service men and women who died in

active duty, who became 100% disabled or who died as a result of a

disability resulting from active duty after Sept. 11, 2001.///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It seems to me they are saying if you died or became disabled AFTER sept 11 you can have these benefits but before sept 11 ... dont count..??????

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know that if I lived in Oregon, I would be upset over this new state benefit. I have a daughter that is about to turn 18, and will be headed to college soon. I also have an 11 year old son who will be ready for college before I know it. I couldn't use this benefit, however, becuase my period of service ended seven years too early. Nevermind that I served during every skirmish that Mr. Clinton could find.

Ummmmmm, my daughter IS in college. She gets chapter 35 benifits wich helps of course. It still cost me $3,000.00 for tuition and books THIS semester.

The Oregon law is great, except I'm a GW1 vet. I would have to think that most college age children of veterans were born well before 9/11. Therefore, there will be fewer college age children that qualify for this program than those that do not. At least for another 10 years or so.

That said, my state isn't even offering the restricted program, sooooo.

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Most States offer ZERO state education benefits!

• HadIt.com Elder

South Carolina provides full scholarships for 100% disabled veterans children nothing for lessor rated veterans same with property taxes SC has some of the best benefits for totally disabled vets in the nation they are big on military here

Guys, lets look at this at face value. My opinion is that this " STATE " level benefit from Oregon is fantastic. Though the date should include 9/11, how many Veterans would truly be effected by this?? And from the state of Oregon? The civilian victims of people lost on 9/11 tragedy have been compensated. I think Oregon is taking a bold and rightful move by coming out with this law, God bless them. I am sorry to hear that the law will not cover all disabled Veterans, our government should include us all.

I wish my state and others would follow. These will benefit so many Veterans. My opinion is that this is better than nothing.

I lived in Oregon and although I don’t live there NOW I still find this as just a way to get votes I think they are thinking hey it wont cost us much and all the vets will think we are hero's even if we excluded them.... When is one vets life worth LESS then another is what I ask... I can not benefit at all but I still find it to be a slap in the face to the children in Oregon who could use the benefit but find THEIR father or mother did not die during the politically correct time frame...

Alabama offers education benefits to childres of ALL 100 percent disabled veterans. Guess they figure that any veteran who gives to his/her country is worth something. What that state is doing is wrong. Just plain WRONG