U.S. veterans killed or disabled since Sept. 11, 2001, in connection

with military duty became eligible for a full tuition waiver to attend any

of the state's seven public universities. The waiver applies to all

spouses who have not remarried and all children 23 and younger,

including adopted children or stepchildren. In their recent session the Oregon

legislature approved the free tuition benefit. It is available to the

children or spouses of military service men and women who died in

active duty, who became 100% disabled or who died as a result of a

disability resulting from active duty after Sept. 11, 2001.///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It seems to me they are saying if you died or became disabled AFTER sept 11 you can have these benefits but before sept 11 ... dont count..??????

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Alabama offers education benefits to childres of ALL 100 percent disabled veterans. Guess they figure that any veteran who gives to his/her country is worth something. What that state is doing is wrong. Just plain WRONG

Would be nice if all benefits available were indeed available to everyone who served.

My guess is that since 100%'ers more than likely can't be gainfully employed and thereby not being like others who can work and provide education for their children (or at least ability to finance)....the govt. grants this benefit to help compensate for the loss of wages.

Alabama only requires a disability of 30% for full a full tuition, fees and books scholarship (4 years of higher education for dependent children) and (2 years for the spouse). I have one through the system, and two more to go. There are residency requirements - in my case I had to prove (other than DD214) that I entered the service while residing in Alabama, and the vet and dependents all live in the state. I think that 100% vets can participate with some changes in the residence requirements. Not sure about the link, but info was easy to find through the web.

Alabama only requires a disability of 30% for full a full tuition, fees and books scholarship (4 years of higher education for dependent children) and (2 years for the spouse). I have one through the system, and two more to go. There are residency requirements - in my case I had to prove (other than DD214) that I entered the service while residing in Alabama, and the vet and dependents all live in the state. I think that 100% vets can participate with some changes in the residence requirements. Not sure about the link, but info was easy to find through the web.

I am happy for you and your family its a shame when poor state offer more benefits to veterans than these rich states that are so cheap dam politicians always thinking about themselves.

• HadIt.com Elder

In my state of Florida teachers are having their pay cut. I don't think vets or anyone else is going to be getting much here. There is no motive for any vet or any other person to move to Florida for education or any other reason. Every vet should get free education and a stipend to live on like the WWII vets.