Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Wrong place to post but couldn't post elsewhere.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080429/ap_on_...pe/bad_barracks

It is a shame that there haves to be a war in order for all these things to come out, when I was in the service I lived in some old barracks and the post command did not even care. I feel for all these veterans and the military should be ashame of the conditions these veterans are having to endure after going to fight a war that up to this day has not been worth the sacrifice they have given.

I was surprised to learn of the old barracks since all the posts I have visited during the past 17 years have better barracks than what I stayed in many years ago. I don't question what has been said, it is

just not what I observed.

When I was stationed at Fort Stewart, Ga in the mid-80ies, our troops lived in two-person rooms that were of Holiday Inn quality (although not the same size).

Ron

I was surprised to learn of the old barracks since all the posts I have visited during the past 17 years have better barracks than what I stayed in many years ago. I don't question what has been said, it is

just not what I observed.

When I was stationed at Fort Stewart, Ga in the mid-80ies, our troops lived in two-person rooms that were of Holiday Inn quality (although not the same size).

Ron

I was wodering if you saw the news and was able to see for your self the conditions these barracks were in and by the way the barracks they were talking about were built during the Korean war. I have a feeling that you probably had an easy job and had great barracks too bad I can not say the same for me and probably others.

• HadIt.com Elder

My last duty station was at H.A.A.F. near Ft. Stewart. Ga. Summer was just hot as hell and we had no AC in our rooms. I spent a year sweltering in Vietnam and then GA. and more sweat. Seems I was either sweating or freezing for my whole service. The other forts like Benning and Little Korea and Ft. Riley were beyond awful. I sure hope things are better than what I experienced back in the day.

I would venture to guess the multiple rounds of base alignment and closures has pushed remaining posts to use all available buildings regardless of quality.

The sad part of this is after the public outrage returning troops will probably get stuck on endless painting/cleaning details instead of getting some slack time with families.

Best regards,

Tyler

I think Michigan's new state slogan should be "Got Water?"

I got at least give credit to the Army for building and remodeling many barracks on various posts, including on base housing. Let me tell you, it is way better than the years of open bay wooden barracks.

As home for one of the elite divisions of the Army, I am surprise Ft. Bragg got caught falling behind.