Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Plantar Fascitis

Rate this question

kluender

Question

I've been rated 20% for incomplete paralysis of the sciatica nerve below the right knee. I've recently submitted a claim for plantar fascitis of the right foot. Today I found this entry in CFR 38:

§4.55 Principles of combined ratings for muscle injuries.

(a) A muscle injury rating will not be combined with a peripheral nerve paralysis rating of the same body part, unless the injuries affect entirely different functions.

Does this mean that my claim for plantar fascitis will be rejected?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm mildly surprised that VA will rate plantar facitis as a disability. I guess there's cases where it leads to other problems, but by itself it's not much of a issue other than it can be very painful if arch supportsd are not used. When I was diagnosed I was told that it was a temporary condition that would disappear in about a year, with or without treatment. I elected to buy an arch support that minimized the pain and used it for about six months. Walked 18 holes twice a week throughout that time and haven't had any further symptoms. (Knocking on wood).

Flat feet can progressively lead to TDIU:

"Accordingly,

in light of the evidence showing unemployability due to the

service-connected flat feet and with resolution of doubt in

the veteran's favor, the Board concludes that a grant of TDIU

is warranted under 38 C.F.R. § 4.16(a)."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files3/0719877.txt

I'm mildly surprised that VA will rate plantar facitis as a disability. I guess there's cases where it leads to other problems, but by itself it's not much of a issue other than it can be very painful if arch supportsd are not used. When I was diagnosed I was told that it was a temporary condition that would disappear in about a year, with or without treatment. I elected to buy an arch support that minimized the pain and used it for about six months. Walked 18 holes twice a week throughout that time and haven't had any further symptoms. (Knocking on wood).

jhfleet, arch supports haven't done me much good. I've had this condition since 1997 when I was still active Army and it has progressively gotten worse. Sometimes I can barely walk. Also, VA x-rays from 1998 show bone spurs.

Everyone, thanks for your input.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

Right, because the pounding of the flat foot can lead to problems with the knees and back. My feet hurt when I was in the army but I just thought everyone's feet hurt. If I had complained to a doctor maybe I, too, would have gotten SC'ed for my feet. Now I have back trouble and I think it comes from my feet and having to sit so much.

• HadIt.com Elder

arch supports did not work for me, either. I have had PF since 2002, and it has only progressively gotten worse. The C&P doc attributed it to my SC'd knees and spine. He also said that the three, plus my hip problems, all work against each other, which makes the overall problems much worse. I do know that my VARO will rate it under "flat feet, acquired," or at least that is what they put in a letter to me.