Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Or Share Of The Government Stimilus Payment

Rate this question

robert51

Question

Seems our government the one we fought so hard for found a loop hole a way to save millions so they can send it to another communist country that hates our guts.. I am a US citz.. my 2 children are us citz.. but my wife well she is a Filappano who uses a I TIN to pay taxes to the US... well some rocket scientist i am sure a Lawyer found a way to save money... A stimilus payment WILL NOT BE PAID TO ME BECAUSE OF MY WIFE.. so instead of say not sending her a payment as she is not a legal citz.. our goverment found a way to rip off me and my children ... Isnt American Great.. on the lighter side i read as of 5 years ago the US government GIVES away 55 Billion dollar a year to other countries who request it.. The fun never stops...

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't know what to tell you Rob, that is so wrong what they did. Again, I believe this country is going down the tubes.

• HadIt.com Elder

Taxpayer Identification Numbers

Q. I file using an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Can I still get a stimulus payment?

A. No. The law does not allow stimulus payments to people who file a return using an ITIN. A taxpayer must have a valid Social Security number to qualify for the stimulus payment. If married filing jointly, both taxpayers must have a valid Social Security number. And children must have valid Social Security numbers to be eligible as qualifying children.

Q. If I currently have an ITIN and file my return but later this year get an SSN, can I amend my return to get the payment or will I need to wait until I file my 2008 return to claim it?

A. You will need to wait until you file your 2008 income tax return to claim the economic stimulus payment. [New 4/14/08]

Q. I have an ITIN, but my spouse has a valid Social Security number. Can we get a payment?

A. If you and your spouse file a joint return, you will not get a stimulus payment. If your spouse files a separate return, your spouse may qualify for a payment, based on his or her income deductions and credits.

Q. If I have a spouse with an ITIN and therefore choose "married filing separately" status to qualify for the economic stimulus payment and later on amend my original return to "married filing jointly" status, will I need to return the stimulus payment?

A. No. [New 4/14/08]

Q. If I have a valid Social Security number and my child has an ITIN, do I get extra money for the child?

A. No. To qualify for the extra credit for qualifying children, not only do the taxpayer and spouse, if filing jointly, need valid Social Security numbers, but the qualifying child must also have a valid Social Security number.

Q. I adopted a child this year and my child has an ATIN (Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number). Will I receive the $300 additional child payment?

A. An ATIN is issued by the IRS as a temporary taxpayer identification number for the child. Adoptive parents who do not yet have a Social Security number for their child will not get the advance payment. However, if they receive a Social Security number for the child before the end of 2008, they can claim the additional child payment on their 2008 tax return.

Related item:

Economic Stimulus Payments Information Center

The above is from the IRS web site.

So, it looks like you will have to file separately to qualify for you and your kids' "economic stimulus" payment.

The obvious reason that you and your wife, if you file jointly, for NOT getting the "economic stimulus" payment is the simple fact that your wife is not a citizen of the United States, therefor she is not eligible for a Social Security account, nor is she eligible for payments intended to go to U.S. citizens, and, if you file your tax return "jointly" then she would, in fact, be getting paid a payment that she is not entitled to.

Do you really want to know a way around the fact that neither you nor her nor your kids will not be getting a "stimulus" payment. Then read the IRS stuff that I posted above and pay particular attention to this part of it:

"Q. If I have a spouse with an ITIN and therefore choose "married filing separately" status to qualify for the economic stimulus payment and later on amend my original return to "married filing jointly" status, will I need to return the stimulus payment?

A. No. [New 4/14/08]"

Now then, I'm not an IRS agent nor an accountant, BUT, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

So, what you CAN do is you can file an amendment to your tax return (I assume you have already filed your 2007 return) for 2007 (and, I'm also assuming that you filed "jointly" in 2007's return) whereby you change your filing status to "filing separately", thereby causing you and her to file separate returns for 2007, where you show the kids on YOUR return, and she shows nobody other than herself on her separate return. Then, when you get your "stimulus" payment you can turn around and file an amended return, showing you and her filing jointly, thereby you would not wind up having to give back your "economic stimulus" payments for you and the kids.

Or, in the alternative, your wife could file for citizenship in the United States, sometime before the end of 2008, thereby allowing her to get a Social Security number and then you claim the "economic stimulus" money on your 2008 return, whereby, sometime in 2009, when your 2008 return is filed, you would then get your stimulus payment for ALL your family.

simple?

Sure.

About as simple as dealing with the VA.

or, you could just go down to the WallyWorld pharmacy dept. and buy a tube of KY.

• HadIt.com Elder

Seems unfair but most here did not participate in first stimulus check.

I read an article in Dallas Morning News today on the government not paying a citizen cause their spouse was not a citizen even though had been waiting for years.

You can always file an amended return if your wife were to become a citizen I guess.

robert51,

Is it possible to amend your tax return so you can file separately from your wife?

carlie

i read that this is NOT possible and maybe 2008 i can amend my tax. this loophole also snared 276,000 active duty vets.. or close to 1,000,000 US tax payers.. Seems the reason they did this if ANY person listed as a dependent or wife does not have an offical SSN to include Green card holders even if they have lived and worked in the Us 40 years are lumped together as possible illegal persons and to give money to these Maybe illegal persons would in FACT could be giving US money to possible terrorist ... and this was all told to the public via the IRS web page on April 14, 2008

I am in the same boat. My wife does not have a SSAN. I haven't filed income taxes for 28 years. Not going to this year either. It just isn't worth the $300. Seems like table scraps to me.

oh i can agree with you there except in my case i have two children also so its 900 and this comes on the back of IRS dinging me for 2,800 dollars back from 2002 i cant even fight it as i lost all my 2002 stuff from moving 4 times.. of the 2,800 dollars 405 dollars is the tax the rest is the 1000% interest they charge.. And as my wife dont have a SSN but uses a I TIN that does not give them the right to cheat me or the kids ,, just another deaf and dumb government high on giving promises and NEVER wanting or meaning to let them go thru...