Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase In Ptsd And Individual Unemployability

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

I'm hoping someone can give their opinion as to what my chances are of getting an increase in PTSD and IU from the information from my C & P exam which was done on May 21, 2008.

[My GAF was 55 and I was given 50% for PTSD in September 2006.]

TESTS

DEGREE OF SEVERITY OF PTSD SYMPTOMS BASED ON PSYCHOMETRIC DATA: Severe

AXIS I: PTSD, chronic.

AXIS II: No personality disorder diagnosed during this interview.

AXIS III: SC for DM II, malaria, impaired hearing, tinnitus.

AXIS IV: Moderate.

AXIS V: GLOBAL ASSESSMENT OF FUNCTIONING.

Score: 50

Comments: He reports severe level of symptoms in almost all of the 17th specific symptoms for the diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder.

PSYC SUMMARY

CHANGES IN FUNCTIONAL STATUS AND QUALITY OF LIFE SINCE LAST EXAM: Performance in employment, routine responsibilities of self-care, family role functioning, physical helath, social/interpersonal relationships, recreation/leisure pursuits.

STATE PROGNOSIS FOR IMPROVEMENT OF PSYCHIATRIC CONDITION AND IMPAIRMENTS IN FUNCTIONAL STATUS: His condition has incrreased in severity from the time of the previous compensation and pension image two years ago. He initiated treatment in February of 2008.

PTSD REVIEW: EFFECTS OF PTSD ON OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL FUNCTIONING

IS THERE TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT DUE TO PTSD SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS? Yes

EXAMPLES AND PERTINENT SYMPTOMS, INCLUDING THOSE ALREADY REPORTED: He has severe symptoms and is participating actively in treatment at the VA PTSD clinic. He is still early in treatment so is not possible at this time to make a realistic assessment in our treatment might diminish the present high level of PTSD symptoms. His present level of symptom reporting would keep him from being able to function effectively in gainful employment.

I have been unemployed since Jan 2008. What additional information should I provide? I have heard that I will need a letter from my DR stating I cannot work. I am not sure that she would provide one. I am unsure of what further action I can take to help my case. If anyone has an opinion of the above or what I can further do I would appreciate the help.

Thanks, Ruffcreek

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Ruffcreek-in my opinion that C & P opinion should award you TDIU.

Have you applied for SSA as well?

"I have heard that I will need a letter from my DR stating I cannot work. I am not sure that she would provide one" it would not hurt to ask her as the C & P exam says you are occupationally impaired.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just as Berta says I would apply for TDIU and SSD yesterday. Severe chronic PTSD should translate into 100% or TDIU.

Berta and John,

Thanks for your responses.

I did contact a SS disability attorney in March 2008. He ordered my file from the PTSD clinic and based on that he declined to take my case for the following reasons: 1) My VA shrink had given me a GAF of 70. He said while other things go into this, the VA weighs the GAF heavily. 2) My psyc had written that my job had ended and I chose not to transfer with the company. Actually this was incorrect. I did not have a choice to transfer but I had quit due to PTSD symptoms.

So I decided to wait until the VA C & P was done. I will now apply for SS disability without the attorney.

Ruffcreek

His present level of symptom reporting would keep him from being able to function effectively in gainful employment.

Ruffcreek in my opinion,it looks pretty good,the examiner is saying that you cannot function effectively while working,and gave you a gaf of 50 which is very serious,now it is how the rated see it. Good luck!

mobie