VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gabbapentin

Rate this topic

I have been diagnosed with PTSD by my VA Psych. As part of my pill regime. part of it includes taking 400mg of Gabbapentin 4 times daily. I initially started at 800mg, and worked my way up. I noticed my ankles began to slowly swell, and now I can baely recognize my left one at all. My VA doctor in Florida says it's a rare side effect, almost saying the pill isn't the cause. I had a sonar -things taken of my heart by my private Doctor, and all was well. She placed me on 25mg of Lasix to bring it down. Even when she doubled the dose, nothing doing. On my last blood test, my VA told me I was low on fluids. I hate to stop the pills, because my Psych

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take 600mg of Gabbapentin 4 times daily for the burning feeling in my legs I get from server back problems. but man I never heard of the VA given it for Psych reasons.......

I take 600mg of Gabbapentin 4 times daily for the burning feeling in my legs I get from server back problems. but man I never heard of the VA given it for Psych reasons.......

It's useful in some bi-polar patients

Had it for a couple of years, until something else came along

• HadIt.com Elder

First of all you need to get to the bottom of what is causing the ankle swelling as it could very easily be something else that is a warning and needs to be checked into. The ankle swelling for me was fluid I needed to get rid of but of course take another pill to do that.

In 1992 Gabapentin was new in US just oked by FDA. It saved my life. For some silly reason a side effect is that it helps panic disorder and depression or almost any mood disorder. I learned about it on the internet. I asked the VA for it but I was only 30% Service Connected for flat feet and they refused cause it cost to much Finally in 1995 I was Service Connected 50% the magic number and I convinced a neurologist the only Doc at Dallas VA allowed to prescribe it I needed it for neuropathy.

When I started taking it not only did my pain and tingling moderate quite a bit my panic disorder stabilized and I was able to work on my claim. For me its a miracle drug that helps me with several problems, pain and panic. As a kicker if I get a sore throat I open a couple of pills mix it in orange juice and the sore throat does not hurt anymore. I am not a Doctor but I did look into it and used it as stated with good results for me. I also found out that it is a good med for older people as it does not get processed by liver but by kidneys.

My old DO used to tell me it was a miracle med when he wrote the prescription. At the VA now they dispense gabapentin to a lot of Veterans for different reasons including Yoggi's pain, my diabetes and even the Shrinks prescribe it also. What a versatile medication it is?