Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I File A Claim For This?

Rate this question

mrstix

Question

When I was in the Air Force, I had to have my Gall Bladder and stones removed at my local hospital "Emergency Operation". I was full of paranites on I V for 4 day's befor the Doc could operate. There are 4 pages of this in my SMR's. This was done

Sept 11th 1989, is it to late to file for it? The Doctor said it was to risky to try and make it to Wright Patterson AFB. So they did the operation here.I have a 10" long scare and still to this day I have weird feeling there, and suffer from IBS, and constapation.I got my C- file and ran across this and was thinking if I could file a claim on it.

Thanks to all

mrstix Msgt USAF 25 years Retired

70% SC

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Any comments please?

Thank you

Comments:

You need to get yourself a copy of your C&P.

Give 'em a week or two.

Go to the Medical Records Department.

Tell 'em you need a copy of ALL your past medical records.

They'll give you a form to fill out (Freedom Of Information).

Fill it out.

Hand it to them.

Wait a few minutes.

Take home your copy.

Read it.

Then you'll know.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello, did you check the exam worksheet to see if most of the items on it were covered? Also do get a copy of the exam notes that'll help clarify what was covered. Didn't apply for scar here but got 10% on my first claim.

Best

Cy

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Got decission letter today,SC granted for gall bladder 0%, SC granted for scar 0%.

The resadues were denied. I thought for sure I'd get at lest 10% for the scar!

I know others have. I'll check with my VSO after the 1st of the new year.

mrstix

Retired Air Force 25 years Msgt

70% SC

This BVA case and many others there show the various criteriae for rating scars:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files3/0818776.txt

Also the Schedule of ratings might have more info but I think this decision covered it all.

If you feel your scar meets a higher criteria, by all means NOD the decision and tell them why the medical evidence (even a photo might sure help here) would show you should be rated higher.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

You may consider trying to obtain an independent medical opinion from a local, board certified plastic surgeon to contest the scar C&P. Include a copy of his credentials, easily found online, when you submit the evaluation.

These guys work on a lot of scars, so they're in a great position to evaluate them effectively. We did that, but are still waiting for the results (this was on remand from the Board, who now has the issue back in its lap again). The doctor conducted a 1/2 hour examination, vs. the less than two minute scar exam my husband received during his C&P.

The exam was for a ten-inch long linear scar that resulted from a service connected case of diverticulitis, which then caused a resulting surgery for an abdominal hernia repair during active duty, which then caused a later surgery for hernia repair in 2004. The scar is ten inches long, about 5 centimeters wide at its widest point, and 2 centimeters wide at its narrowest point, and still causes soreness and limitaton of motion when sitting still or laying down for any length of time. The AMC handled the rating on Board remand, and just sent back to the Board its denial of service connection at all, let alone in any amount.

We sent in some very graphic pictures, in color -- 8 x 10 inch glossies, which of course they never acknowledged receiving and never discussed in the decison. But we know they have them, because they acknowledged their existence when responding to the Court (this was part of our writ of mandamus request).

Berta's right, nothing says it better than a photo...