Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

50 Plus 30 = 70


jjrbus
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

 

spacer.png

Question

I recently got an increas,still have no paperwork. I had 50% ptsd and 10% GSW. I belive I was raised to 30% for GSW. I am being paid at 70% according to the tables. Am I considered to be 70% disabled or 80%? Is it eaiser to get IU at 70 or 80%?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

Right on Purple!

50% + 30%= 65% rounded up to 70% (VA math)

(50% considered "able" X 30% second disability=15%

First disability 50% + 15% new=65%)

Ron

Edited by Ron II
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, but am I considered, 65% 70% or 80% disabled? for an IU claim?? Anybody know where i can get a 35/30/20% job??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

Go ahead and file for IU. The requirements are a single disability of 60%, or a combined rating of 70% with one of the disabilities being at least 40%. You meet the requirements. It will be much smoother if you have a doctor's statement saying that you cannot work due to your sc'd condition(s).

As for VA math, it sux. How's that for stating the obvious? :unsure: They don't look at disability the way everyone else does. Instead, they look at it from how able bodied you are. So, if you have a 50% rating, then you are 50% able bodied. When you add another 30% rating, then you only get 30% of the 50% that you are able bodied, or another 15% gets added. That is how you became a combined 65%, which round up to 70%. If you added another 30% rating, then that would be 30% of the 35% that you are able bodied, or 10.5%. That would give you a combined rating of 75.5%, which would round up to 80%. Clear as mud, ain't it? :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder
Go ahead and file for IU. The requirements are a single disability of 60%, or a combined rating of 70% with one of the disabilities being at least 40%. You meet the requirements. It will be much smoother if you have a doctor's statement saying that you cannot work due to your sc'd condition(s).

As for VA math, it sux. How's that for stating the obvious? :unsure: They don't look at disability the way everyone else does. Instead, they look at it from how able bodied you are. So, if you have a 50% rating, then you are 50% able bodied. When you add another 30% rating, then you only get 30% of the 50% that you are able bodied, or another 15% gets added. That is how you became a combined 65%, which round up to 70%. If you added another 30% rating, then that would be 30% of the 35% that you are able bodied, or 10.5%. That would give you a combined rating of 75.5%, which would round up to 80%. Clear as mud, ain't it? :rolleyes:

Yes. What the rentaldude says is soooooo true. Just like he has posted at the bottom of every one of his posts.

If you do not get 100% on your very first claim (yeah, right, like that is ever going to happen!), then you will NEVER Get 100%. Well, you'll never get 100% by combining ratings. They can give you 100%, like for TDIU. But, you will NEVER get to 100% solely by relying on your claim percentages. You'd run out of diseases and injurys before you ever got 100%. You might wind up with 99.9999999999%, but never a 100%. You'd have everything ever listed in the Merck Manual.........well, you get my drift. Fair and equitable.....uh-huh uh-huh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

    CHAT NOW

  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

     

    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

     

    You can read the forums without registering.

     

    Tips on posting on the forums.
     

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

     

    Leading to:

     

    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

     

    Examples:
     
    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
       
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

     

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

     

    Note:

     

    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

    tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>