VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

50 Plus 30 = 70

Rate this question

jjrbus

Question

I recently got an increas,still have no paperwork. I had 50% ptsd and 10% GSW. I belive I was raised to 30% for GSW. I am being paid at 70% according to the tables. Am I considered to be 70% disabled or 80%? Is it eaiser to get IU at 70 or 80%?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Right on Purple!

50% + 30%= 65% rounded up to 70% (VA math)

(50% considered "able" X 30% second disability=15%

First disability 50% + 15% new=65%)

Ron

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder

Go ahead and file for IU. The requirements are a single disability of 60%, or a combined rating of 70% with one of the disabilities being at least 40%. You meet the requirements. It will be much smoother if you have a doctor's statement saying that you cannot work due to your sc'd condition(s).

As for VA math, it sux. How's that for stating the obvious? :unsure: They don't look at disability the way everyone else does. Instead, they look at it from how able bodied you are. So, if you have a 50% rating, then you are 50% able bodied. When you add another 30% rating, then you only get 30% of the 50% that you are able bodied, or another 15% gets added. That is how you became a combined 65%, which round up to 70%. If you added another 30% rating, then that would be 30% of the 35% that you are able bodied, or 10.5%. That would give you a combined rating of 75.5%, which would round up to 80%. Clear as mud, ain't it? :rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder
Go ahead and file for IU. The requirements are a single disability of 60%, or a combined rating of 70% with one of the disabilities being at least 40%. You meet the requirements. It will be much smoother if you have a doctor's statement saying that you cannot work due to your sc'd condition(s).

As for VA math, it sux. How's that for stating the obvious? :unsure: They don't look at disability the way everyone else does. Instead, they look at it from how able bodied you are. So, if you have a 50% rating, then you are 50% able bodied. When you add another 30% rating, then you only get 30% of the 50% that you are able bodied, or another 15% gets added. That is how you became a combined 65%, which round up to 70%. If you added another 30% rating, then that would be 30% of the 35% that you are able bodied, or 10.5%. That would give you a combined rating of 75.5%, which would round up to 80%. Clear as mud, ain't it? :rolleyes:

Yes. What the rentaldude says is soooooo true. Just like he has posted at the bottom of every one of his posts.

If you do not get 100% on your very first claim (yeah, right, like that is ever going to happen!), then you will NEVER Get 100%. Well, you'll never get 100% by combining ratings. They can give you 100%, like for TDIU. But, you will NEVER get to 100% solely by relying on your claim percentages. You'd run out of diseases and injurys before you ever got 100%. You might wind up with 99.9999999999%, but never a 100%. You'd have everything ever listed in the Merck Manual.........well, you get my drift. Fair and equitable.....uh-huh uh-huh