Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

50 Plus 30 = 70

Rate this question

jjrbus

Question

I recently got an increas,still have no paperwork. I had 50% ptsd and 10% GSW. I belive I was raised to 30% for GSW. I am being paid at 70% according to the tables. Am I considered to be 70% disabled or 80%? Is it eaiser to get IU at 70 or 80%?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Right on Purple!

50% + 30%= 65% rounded up to 70% (VA math)

(50% considered "able" X 30% second disability=15%

First disability 50% + 15% new=65%)

Ron

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder

Go ahead and file for IU. The requirements are a single disability of 60%, or a combined rating of 70% with one of the disabilities being at least 40%. You meet the requirements. It will be much smoother if you have a doctor's statement saying that you cannot work due to your sc'd condition(s).

As for VA math, it sux. How's that for stating the obvious? :unsure: They don't look at disability the way everyone else does. Instead, they look at it from how able bodied you are. So, if you have a 50% rating, then you are 50% able bodied. When you add another 30% rating, then you only get 30% of the 50% that you are able bodied, or another 15% gets added. That is how you became a combined 65%, which round up to 70%. If you added another 30% rating, then that would be 30% of the 35% that you are able bodied, or 10.5%. That would give you a combined rating of 75.5%, which would round up to 80%. Clear as mud, ain't it? :rolleyes:

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder
Go ahead and file for IU. The requirements are a single disability of 60%, or a combined rating of 70% with one of the disabilities being at least 40%. You meet the requirements. It will be much smoother if you have a doctor's statement saying that you cannot work due to your sc'd condition(s).

As for VA math, it sux. How's that for stating the obvious? :unsure: They don't look at disability the way everyone else does. Instead, they look at it from how able bodied you are. So, if you have a 50% rating, then you are 50% able bodied. When you add another 30% rating, then you only get 30% of the 50% that you are able bodied, or another 15% gets added. That is how you became a combined 65%, which round up to 70%. If you added another 30% rating, then that would be 30% of the 35% that you are able bodied, or 10.5%. That would give you a combined rating of 75.5%, which would round up to 80%. Clear as mud, ain't it? :rolleyes:

Yes. What the rentaldude says is soooooo true. Just like he has posted at the bottom of every one of his posts.

If you do not get 100% on your very first claim (yeah, right, like that is ever going to happen!), then you will NEVER Get 100%. Well, you'll never get 100% by combining ratings. They can give you 100%, like for TDIU. But, you will NEVER get to 100% solely by relying on your claim percentages. You'd run out of diseases and injurys before you ever got 100%. You might wind up with 99.9999999999%, but never a 100%. You'd have everything ever listed in the Merck Manual.........well, you get my drift. Fair and equitable.....uh-huh uh-huh

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph