Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi/tricare/medicare Part B

Rate this question

Raven

Question

HOPE SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME ADVICE- I JUST FILED FOR SSDI AND ON MY APPLICATION IT STATED I DID NOT WANT MEDICARE PART B. I AND MY FAMILY ARE CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN TRICARE PRIME ($460 A YEAR)

SHOULD I CONTACT THE SSA AND TELL THEM I DO WANT MEDICARE PART B? IS IT A BETTER INSURANSE?

SOMEONE TOLD ME I SHOULD TAKE IT AND KEEP MY TRICARE PRIME AS A SECONDARY- BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT IS BEST NOR WHO MUCH THE MEDICARE WILL COST. CAN I ELECT THE MEDICARE AT A LATER DATE?

I AM CONFUSED- PLEASE HELP- ANY COMMENTS WELCOME

RAVEN (90% SC- HOPE TO BE 100% ANY DAY)

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dear Raven:

If you have changed your mind it is certainly not to late to rescind your decision. You are eligible for Medicare 2 years after being found disabled by Social Security or when you reach 65 or the standard retirement age as they start adding months to it. I think that is the time that you will be able to make your decision.

Good Luck you have time to change your decision.

Guest VetWife Advocate
Part B is about 88 dollars a month I think. It works well with other insurance.

My understanding is that when eligible for Part B Medicare, then Tricare, acts as a Gap policy. It has been recommended? that those of us who have Part B Medicare and Tricare--Prime, etc. will not need the "new medication option plan " you have to make a decision by May!!

Good luck.

Brenda

Guest Dataman

Correct;

Tricare is 2nd payee. You have to have Part B. Required by the law that brought in TFL.

Part D is not required and they recommend you not get it! Why? It would supercede Tricare and you would pay more?

As of Today.....

HOPE SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME ADVICE- I JUST FILED FOR SSDI AND ON MY APPLICATION IT STATED I DID NOT WANT MEDICARE PART B. I AND MY FAMILY ARE CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN TRICARE PRIME ($460 A YEAR)

SHOULD I CONTACT THE SSA AND TELL THEM I DO WANT MEDICARE PART B? IS IT A BETTER INSURANSE?

SOMEONE TOLD ME I SHOULD TAKE IT AND KEEP MY TRICARE PRIME AS A SECONDARY- BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT IS BEST NOR WHO MUCH THE MEDICARE WILL COST. CAN I ELECT THE MEDICARE AT A LATER DATE?

I AM CONFUSED- PLEASE HELP- ANY COMMENTS WELCOME

RAVEN (90% SC- HOPE TO BE 100% ANY DAY)

Raven,

$88 a month for Part B. A very good deal. I recently had an $85,000 heart attack. EVERYTHING was covered by Tricare for Life (kind of like Tricare and Medicare combined). No deductables or co-pays, etc.. My pharmacy costs which are for life, boils down to $3 or $9 dollars per 30 day prescription depending on whether it is generic or not if you use a commercial pharmacy. I believe it is even cheaper if you use the TFL/Express Scripts online or mail in ordering method. Regretfully, most of us are going to have ailments/mishaps (BIG and small) that we would not want the VA or an HMO type setup to handle. TFL covers the cost and NO forms for me to fill out! I just get a statement - that's it. Go for it friend.

Riverman

Raven,

$88 a month for Part B. A very good deal. I recently had an $85,000 heart attack. EVERYTHING was covered by Tricare for Life (kind of like Tricare and Medicare combined). No deductables or co-pays, etc.. My pharmacy costs which are for life, boils down to $3 or $9 dollars per 30 day prescription depending on whether it is generic or not if you use a commercial pharmacy. I believe it is even cheaper if you use the TFL/Express Scripts online or mail in ordering method. Regretfully, most of us are going to have ailments/mishaps (BIG and small) that we would not want the VA or an HMO type setup to handle. TFL covers the cost and NO forms for me to fill out! I just get a statement - that's it. Go for it friend.

Riverman

I would like to know if I could also get Tricare. I have never heard of it before. It souns great.

Alan