Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treatment Of Some Groups Of Vets

Rate this question

purple

Question

OK......I just have to get this out. I want to say upfront that what I'm about to say in NO WAY is against any vets....I would never do that to a fellow vet. This is against the VA and their treatment of some groups of vets. Please know that.

This has been mentioned off and on here a few times. It's about how Vietnam vets and other groups of vets get treated vs OIF/OEF vets.

The VA seems to think that one group of vets are more important than another group. I have to wonder why? I noticed in the VAMC that I go to (Dayton) they quickly built a center just for OIF/OEF vets only...its all new and nice, and usually empty. There are seminars, on topics I'd like to attend, that are only for OIF/OEF vets. Why? What are the rest of us?

Does the VA not realize if it hadn't been for all of the other vets, there wouldn't be any of the new vets? Or are they just trying to make up for all the wrongs they have done to previous vet groups.

Each group of vets may need different type of help...but each group deserves the same level of help.

OK....off my soapbox. Like I said, I didn't post this to offend anyone and I apologize in advance if I did.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What gripes me as a Vietnam vet is the flags I see draped out on every flagpole at my VAMC saying "welcome back OIF/OEF :unsure: vets". Even the phone greeting at the VAMC says " Welcome back returning combat vets from Iraq and Afghanistan". I remember the welcome back I got. I was the invisible man and I am beginning to feel that way again. It is the fault of congress and the administration. They are playing with the lives of 20 million vets. Now I believe they are trying to push older vets out of the system to make room for the younger guys. They must be planning on a very long war. I felt very pressured to go along with some jackass program at pain clinic yesterday. I know they don't have my welfare at heart. It must be some way to get rid of us chronic pain cases to open the door for the poly trauma unit guys from Iraq. That literature is posted all over the walls at the pain clinic about the effects of IED's. Nothing about the effects of old injuries on old vets. Most of the guys I saw at the clinic were older and had big mobility problems. My doc jus told me to sit up straight and rub some cream on my feet and back and I would be cured. Do they talk like that to younger vets who have pain, or is this treatment reserved for the old guys who would be better off dead in VA eyes? Yes, I hate them, but I am going to get my pound of flesh from the VA.

What gripes me as a Vietnam vet is the flags I see draped out on every flagpole at my VAMC saying "welcome back OIF/OEF :lol: vets". Even the phone greeting at the VAMC says " Welcome back returning combat vets from Iraq and Afghanistan". I remember the welcome back I got. I was the invisible man and I am beginning to feel that way again. It is the fault of congress and the administration. They are playing with the lives of 20 million vets. Now I believe they are trying to push older vets out of the system to make room for the younger guys. They must be planning on a very long war. I felt very pressured to go along with some jackass program at pain clinic yesterday. I know they don't have my welfare at heart. It must be some way to get rid of us chronic pain cases to open the door for the poly trauma unit guys from Iraq. That literature is posted all over the walls at the pain clinic about the effects of IED's. Nothing about the effects of old injuries on old vets. Most of the guys I saw at the clinic were older and had big mobility problems. My doc jus told me to sit up straight and rub some cream on my feet and back and I would be cured. Do they talk like that to younger vets who have pain, or is this treatment reserved for the old guys who would be better off dead in VA eyes? Yes, I hate them, but I am going to get my pound of flesh from the VA.

I agree, Bless my dear old Dad who passed 12 years ago, in VA care- he had a stroke lasted 7 years and then they TURFED him, because he lived too long- he died of blood poisioning and malnutrition, at 78 yrs. /WWII Vet- I had 2 young kids and drove 200 miles in the am to get there by lunch and left after to get home for the kids- for a year or more- then I had a breakdown raising 2 families -my Mom and 2 brothers were distraught also-it seemed like the last year we couldnt always be there, Mom was but she was sick- he went downhill-but I am Happy to say I was with him the day he passed and it was hard to know what was to be and beautiful and tender at the same time-I told him we'd all be ok and he could go home now- his last words were- you should run for politics -MY Pop was always joking around- and I won't let them do this to my husband

VietNam Vet- and my son is now on his way to SEALS to try again, he is a 2x Vet already-I am the glue- and I also will win my dear husbands claim- they owe me a father- :unsure:

The VA operates somewhat as society does...when you are older you are washed up. The elders continue to teach about life...stop and listen...but who cares anymore. I know when I finally put in my disability claim it was told to me you tuffed it out all these years why do you think we should pay you now?

What a terrible thing to say. Give me back my life and health and I would gladly go back to work.

I did notice the vets from the 2000's received appointments asap...I had to wait for months, but I didn't let it deter me. Remember it is not the Vet who is responsibile for the mistreatment of others but it is the governmental agencies. Anything to make themselves look good, and act like they care about vets...baloney.

Fight for it. Fight harder then you have ever before. You are worth it.

Don't let anyone put you in the backseat anymore.

I read this from another forum reply I believe RonII had it in a web address post regarding VN:

If our only stake in this war were dollars,

Liberty would be cheap.

The real cost, lives, could affect our future,

But blood has always been the price of Liberty

This is the way for all vets all over.