Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bone Density Loss?

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Does bone density loss have any relation to Gulf War Illness? I've researched the medications being taken and none of them appear to be causing bone density loss. I've not been able to find any cause for it. The VA diagnosed this and prescribed calcium, BUT, he has kidney problems and can't have too much calcium. I'm having a minor freak out sorry for rambling. The basic question is has there ever been a link between Gulf War Illness and early bone density loss?!

We should be angry, but kind; demanding, but polite; and firm but soft-spoken.

SouthernBelle

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Back to your original question. If he receives a diagnosis of Osteoporosis and the doc will provide that no other reason exists for the disease and will link it to his GWS then it would be possible to attempt to cover it under 8850-5013 UNDIAGNOSED CONDITION--MUSCULOSKELETAL DISEASES

There are several studies out there linking Osteoporosis to GWS vaccines. The theory is that there may have been a "loss of immunological tolerance" due to some of the shots given.

Just do a search and you will find much reading that you could use to discuss with a treating doc. The UK is/has done a multitude of studies on the subject. Hope this helps

• HadIt.com Elder

RICKY!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! You have totally answered my question. I'll google it, but I'm going to have to figure out how to word it to find what I'm looking for. Google is only as good as the user!!! Again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Back to your original question. If he receives a diagnosis of Osteoporosis and the doc will provide that no other reason exists for the disease and will link it to his GWS then it would be possible to attempt to cover it under 8850-5013 UNDIAGNOSED CONDITION--MUSCULOSKELETAL DISEASES

There are several studies out there linking Osteoporosis to GWS vaccines. The theory is that there may have been a "loss of immunological tolerance" due to some of the shots given.

Just do a search and you will find much reading that you could use to discuss with a treating doc. The UK is/has done a multitude of studies on the subject. Hope this helps

SouthernBelle

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, so we got the bloodwork results today. They wanted to test his blood calcium. Those results are apparently normal. Now what? They need to investigate this further, but they won't do it unless you ask for something, but what do I ask for? B)

SouthernBelle

A simple "Osteoporosis gulfwar" google will get you what you want on this issue.

According to the experts if you are looking for a diagnosis of Osteoporosis then this is the way to go:

Bone Mineral Density Testing

The most accurate and reliable way to diagnose osteoporosis is to have a bone mineral density test (BMD). Bone mineral density tests are also known as a bone mass measurement test, bone mass test, bone densitometry and bone density test. This is a painless and noninvasive scan which measures bone density in the hip, spine, wrist, heel or hand.

A bone density test can tell you if you have osteoporosis and also tell you if you’re at risk for fractures.

Common Bone Mineral Density (BMD) Tests Include:

DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry)

pDXA (Peripheral Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry)

SXA (Single Energy X-ray Absorptiometry)

pQCT (Peripheral Quantitative Computed Tomography)

RA (Radiographic Absorptiometry)

QCT (Quantitative Computed Tomography)

QUS (Quantitative Ultrasound)

Your physician may also collect some blood and urine to rule out other medical conditions. A blood test may be done to check calcium, phosphorus, cell counts, alkaline, protein electrophoresis, thyroid and parathyroid hormones and vitamin D levels. These tests cannot diagnose osteoporosis; however, they can help detect secondary causes, such as vitamin D deficiency, thyroid problems, kidney or liver disease, osteomalacia and Pagets disease. A urine test is usually done to determine protein, calcium and hydroxyproline levels. These tests can sometimes determine the amount of calcium being absorbed by the body.

Hope this helps you!

Edited by Ricky

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, Ricky. The bone density scan was done last week, blood work on Thursday. Results are: He has the bones of an 80 year old man, but his cholesterol, blood calcium and all other blood and urine work is normal. I'm still looking for answers. I swear you have to tell them what to do next, you have to tell them HOW to do their job! INVESTIGATE THE CAUSE, I promise it isn't that HARD. I think I'm going to take him to an Internist with the information about possible exposures while in Saudi and Iraq and see what they say. The VA isn't going to help us, are they? I didn't think so.... B)

A simple "Osteoporosis gulfwar" google will get you what you want on this issue.

According to the experts if you are looking for a diagnosis of Osteoporosis then this is the way to go:

Bone Mineral Density Testing

The most accurate and reliable way to diagnose osteoporosis is to have a bone mineral density test (BMD). Bone mineral density tests are also known as a bone mass measurement test, bone mass test, bone densitometry and bone density test. This is a painless and noninvasive scan which measures bone density in the hip, spine, wrist, heel or hand.

A bone density test can tell you if you have osteoporosis and also tell you if you’re at risk for fractures.

Common Bone Mineral Density (BMD) Tests Include:

DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry)

pDXA (Peripheral Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry)

SXA (Single Energy X-ray Absorptiometry)

pQCT (Peripheral Quantitative Computed Tomography)

RA (Radiographic Absorptiometry)

QCT (Quantitative Computed Tomography)

QUS (Quantitative Ultrasound)

Your physician may also collect some blood and urine to rule out other medical conditions. A blood test may be done to check calcium, phosphorus, cell counts, alkaline, protein electrophoresis, thyroid and parathyroid hormones and vitamin D levels. These tests cannot diagnose osteoporosis; however, they can help detect secondary causes, such as vitamin D deficiency, thyroid problems, kidney or liver disease, osteomalacia and Pagets disease. A urine test is usually done to determine protein, calcium and hydroxyproline levels. These tests can sometimes determine the amount of calcium being absorbed by the body.

Hope this helps you!

SouthernBelle

• Founder

I did a search for bone density + gulf war illness on google here are the results i hope you can find some helpful information

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.