VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Correction To Something

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I mentioned here some time back that a 21-526 covers both compensation and pension-

I learned from the VBM that the 21-526 form has changed and a vet can elect to apply for either SC comp or pension.(and hopefully still both-meaning if the SC is denied they are then considered for the NSC pension.)

Does this mean that say a vet applys for comp and gets denied- do they then have to file another 526 to see if they are eligible for the pension? Does VA tell them with the denial that they might meet the NSC pension criteria?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

I know in my case, in 2001 I was denied service connection for chronic anxiety and then was awarded the non service connected pension for the chronic anxiety.

Stating due to my disability and being umenployable since 1983.

A month later I received notice, I was denied the NSC Pension, due to excessive income.

In 2008 now that I have service connected the chronic anxiety, the VA is wishing to forget the NSC pension ever existed, for Dr. Lehmxx in her 2005 C&P states the NSC Pension was granted for Chronic Anxiety at 100% and denied due to the excessive.

I have not let the VA forget the money stayed in my home, but the illness never left, when they took the pension.

Betty

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
I mentioned here some time back that a 21-526 covers both compensation and pension-

I learned from the VBM that the 21-526 form has changed and a vet can elect to apply for either SC comp or pension.(and hopefully still both-meaning if the SC is denied they are then considered for the NSC pension.)

Does this mean that say a vet applys for comp and gets denied- do they then have to file another 526 to see if they are eligible for the pension? Does VA tell them with the denial that they might meet the NSC pension criteria?

Berta, a claim for one has always been a claim for both. I don't know that that has changed but I haven't seen anything that states it's changed.

pr

The form changed in 2004 (per the 21-526 itself at the bottom)

I think they mean the veteran can check off and apply for Comp and/or Pension on the 21-526-

but I would hope that say a vet checks the wrong box- that the VARO would see if they are eligible for either Comp or Pension.

I cant find the statement I read in the VBM but am still looking for it.

• In Memoriam

I posted the two forms, 21-526 and 21-527, in the pension forum. I filed the form 21-527 for pension while awaiting Service Connection. The first page, of each form, explains the difference in the two forms. I just can't read it again.