VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Court Appointed Guardian

Rate this question

lori

Question

I began applying for my brother to receive disability from the Vietnam war in 1999. He was awarded 50% in 2000. I asked for a increase in 2004 as his condition had worsened. He was denied. I filed an appeal. We waited until May of this year for a hearing via satellite in St. Louis, MO. Received 100% order on July 1, 2008. Received award letter October 8, 2008. Received a phone call from the Guardianship Dept in Chicago. They stated I must become Court Appointed for my brother. I have been a Fidicuary since 2002 and Legal Custodian since 2002. I also have a POA for property since 2001. Why do they want me to be court appointed now. I have been taking care of his VA payments and all of his financial since 2000. They are going back to 2004 to backpay him to 100%. Which if I figured about $80,000. Please advise me what to do.

Thanks Lori :P

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Become Court Appointed Guardian for my brother and take good care of your brother affairs.

• HadIt.com Elder

Delay tatic. Talk to an attorney. They try to delay or deny even valid claims at all levels.

Stall tatics, delay tatics. Common practice.

J

Guest terrysturgis

From the bottom of my heart I want to THANK YOU for all the help you have provided for your brother. I agree with jbasser, just one more hoop to pass through. God Bless. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Dear Lori:

You can appeal the decision. Usually being a Court Appointed Guardian requires a Bond although I am not sure its necessary. Please be sure that the VA does not run in one of their cronies that used to work for the VA and will skin your brother alive.

Thank you for helping your Brother.

Good Luck