VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Plans To Substantially Increase Disability Benefits For Veterans With Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Veterans with mild traumatic brain injuries to receive government help

By GREGG ZOROYA

Gannett News Service WASHINGTON — The Veterans with mild traumatic brain injuries to receive government help

By GREGG ZOROYA

Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON — The government plans to substantially increase disability benefits for veterans with mild traumatic brain injuries, acknowledging for the first time that veterans suffering from this less severe version of the Iraq war’s signature wound will struggle to make a living.

“We’re saying it’s real,” said Tom Pamperin, a deputy director for the Department of Veteran Affairs, about the significance of the change to benefits in the regulation the VA plans published Tuesday.

Up to 320,000 troops who served in Iraq and Afghanistan suffered traumatic brain injury, a RAND Corp. study estimated this year. The vast majority of the cases are mild and came from exposure to an explosion, often from a roadside bomb. Most veterans with mild cases recover, Pamperin said, but some are left with permanent problems.

Compensation could reach $600 a month, the VA said. Currently, veterans with symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, sensitivity to light, ringing in the ears and

irritability and insomnia collect $117.

After it takes effect in 30 days, the new regulation will benefit between 3,500 and 5,000 veterans a year, the department said. It estimated the changes would cost an extra $120 million through 2017.

More than 1.6 million U.S. troops have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. About half of those are now veterans, and slightly less than half of those veterans have sought health care from the VA, records show. In the past year, the department has screened 190,000 of these veterans for brain injury. About 20 percent showed signs of a brain injury, but only about 5 percent were

confirmed as suffering the wound.

The regulation modifies a 1961 rating schedule for mild brain trauma and brings compensation for this ailment into the 21st Century, said Lonnie Bristow, chairman of an Institute of Medicine committee that studied veterans’ benefits.

The old regulation failed to recognize that wounds such as brain injuries from blasts —- which do not show up on scans — are only understood by what patients say they are suffering, Bristow said.

”VA has been assessing their injuries based on outdated science,” said Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee.

Veterans groups, such as the Disabled American Veterans, applauded the change. However, they said the estimated numbers of traumatic brain injury cases may prove low, because the science around blast damage to the brain is still new.

Veterans who have suffered the most severe brain injuries will not receive much, if any, extra money because existing regulations provided adequate compensation in serious cases, Pamperin said. Consolidating all brain injury standards into one regulation, he said, will make it easier for veterans to get extra benefits to pay for special circumstances such as being housebound by the

injury.

, acknowledging for the first time that veterans suffering from this less severe version of the Iraq war’s signature wound will struggle to make a living.

“We’re saying it’s real,” said Tom Pamperin, a deputy director for the Department of Veteran Affairs, about the significance of the change to benefits in the regulation the VA plans published Tuesday.

Up to 320,000 troops who served in Iraq and Afghanistan suffered traumatic brain injury, a RAND Corp. study estimated this year. The vast majority of the cases are mild and came from exposure to an explosion, often from a roadside bomb. Most veterans with mild cases recover, Pamperin said, but some are left with permanent problems.

Compensation could reach $600 a month, the VA said. Currently, veterans with symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, sensitivity to light, ringing in the ears and

irritability and insomnia collect $117.

After it takes effect in 30 days, the new regulation will benefit between 3,500 and 5,000 veterans a year, the department said. It estimated the changes would cost an extra $120 million through 2017.

More than 1.6 million U.S. troops have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. About half of those are now veterans, and slightly less than half of those veterans have sought health care from the VA, records show. In the past year, the department has screened 190,000 of these veterans for brain injury. About 20 percent showed signs of a brain injury, but only about 5 percent were

confirmed as suffering the wound.

The regulation modifies a 1961 rating schedule for mild brain trauma and brings compensation for this ailment into the 21st Century, said Lonnie Bristow, chairman of an Institute of Medicine committee that studied veterans’ benefits.

The old regulation failed to recognize that wounds such as brain injuries from blasts —- which do not show up on scans — are only understood by what patients say they are suffering, Bristow said.

”VA has been assessing their injuries based on outdated science,” said Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee.

Veterans groups, such as the Disabled American Veterans, applauded the change. However, they said the estimated numbers of traumatic brain injury cases may prove low, because the science around blast damage to the brain is still new.

Veterans who have suffered the most severe brain injuries will not receive much, if any, extra money because existing regulations provided adequate compensation in serious cases, Pamperin said. Consolidating all brain injury standards into one regulation, he said, will make it easier for veterans to get extra benefits to pay for special circumstances such as being housebound by the

injury.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm wondering how this will effect those of us who had minor TBI's due to trauma, from say a fall or auto accident, or being hit by something, or for that matter, as in my case, happened 35 plus years ago and have been suffering it's effect and just now being able to show some evidence from tests that demonstrate the problems I have. Will I qualify under this new program or what ever it is?

Rockhound Rider :lol:

I've read the new regs and am not impressed. While as stated in the article, many will get an increased rating, most will still be seriously lowballed. As an example, if I was re-rated under the new rating criteria, I'm not sure my rating would reach the 100% I am currently rated. I beleive it would not. Why? Because residuals will be averaged together to determine a rating. Meaning if an individual has residuals that are 70%, 50% and 30% disabling each, it is quite certian the combination of conditions would leave that person in very poor overall health. Yet the rating will be 50% even though the most disabling condition is 70% on it's own and the total added together is 150%. My experience with my brain injury is that, using the percentages given(if they applied to me), is that I would be 150% disabled and not 50% disabled.

The reason many will get an increase with the new rating scheduall is not because the scheduall is more accurate in determining the disabling effects of brain injury. It is simply because the residuals are now recognized as being real. Averaging rather than adding the accumulation of these residuals assures that ratings will remain low. I'm sorry but someone losing 50% of one arm and 30% of the other does not add up to a 40% loss of both arms.

Even VA math, where 50% and 50% add up to 75%(then round) is better than 50% and 50% adding up to 50%.

Just my thoughts.

Will the new regs apply to disabled vet of years past or only

OIF/OEF vets and newer ?

carlie

Vet's already rated under the old rules will retain their ratings under those rules unless the Vet requests re-evaluation under the new Code. A Veteran may request re-evaluation under the new reg's no matter of the date of injury or prior rating. If a re-evaluation under the new reg's produces a lower rating, the Veteran will retain the higher rating obtained under the old regs.(I would be carefull not to rely on that too much)

This is how I understand it. Hope it answers your question.