Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Berta/carlie - Anyone With Experience

Rate this question

tom91

Question

Berta - You and others may recall my previous note regarding my hearling loss and tinnitus claim. It included documentation that referrenced 'soldier demonstrates hearing loss and requires further evaluation' yet that never occurred and a number of claims have since been denied.

Follow up with my rep several weeks ago resulted in him tracking my paperwork down, found it was with the approvers to be completed, and at that point showed tinnitus was approved but hearing loss denied. I continue to follow up with the 800# almost daily. It goes from approval of one date to quoting a new date to another new date and so on. This leads me to frustration, curiosity, anger, and concern they've changed their mind on the tinnitus. If so, and if they haven't changed the hearing loss, I'll appeal. However, another note I read regarding 70% retro with a response from Carlie made me curious that maybe they recognize their mistake already without me having to file a CUE claim and the length of time waiting is a result of multiple approvals it may be going through. How many does it require??

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It is possible they looked at the hearing claim again-

hard to guess-

in the VCAA letter you got were you able to provide them with exact info they requested as to the hearing loss?

You sure have the nexus for it- did they give you a complete audio C & P yet?

And do the results fall into a ratable hearing loss percentage?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I've not received my letters yet, just going by what the rep saw in the file at that time. Yes, my audio & speech tests were done with VA mid-Sept but not sure of what the test results showed. Keep in mind that when they deferred a decision on this back in August (part of a number of claims but only one that was not decided at the time), the VA stated that the tests I provided from outside dr shows bilateral mild sensorineural hearing loss with speech recognition scores which meets VA criteria regarding impaired hearing....deferred on sc pending results of a VA exam to establish link'. Not sure of the scores either way as to whether it would result in a % or 0%.

In reference to all the many follow up calls I've made as to the status, they at one point made reference that it was being looked at by legal.

OK_ what is missing is nexus-thats what they mean by the link

Does your MOS reveal exposure to high noise levels? combat or non combat- ships boiler room, plane tarmacs ,were you a firing range officer? etc etc?

They are looking for how your service put you into noise trauma and of course lots of vets- depending on when they served- were never issued protective noise gear when they needed it.

If they fully understand your MOS (and your actual duties might well not be reflected in the MOS number listed on your DD 214)they will have a potential link for the hearing loss if you were in any duty involving acoustical trauma.

I was a diesel mechanic, which on a daily basis exposed me to motors with high pitch noice equivalent to those in jets. That was included in my write up along with my specific MOS. Even the civilian dr that completed my audio/speech testing earlier this year made reference to the fact my hearing loss/tinnitus was likely a result from my military service as I served 9+ years as a mechanic exposed to high pitch noises.

That is a very strong nexus-Tom-

as long as they fully consider that write up- they should award you for hearing loss- they will rate it as to the decibels etc -

in many BVA hearing loss decisions - they include the decibel stuff- and it can help vets compare their audio reports for a proper rating.