VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C And P Exams

Rate this question

matt

Question

Hello All,

I am new here. i have looked as much as possible and the info on this site is incredible. I just wonder what vets did before the internet. I recently was forced to retire from the national guard due to PTSD, back and knee injuries. Let me start by telling you all that I have 21 years of service gulf war vet USMC(0311) and then 13A int he national guard. Filed with my VSO, last April, for PTSD, Hearing, Back and Knees. Did not hear anything until last week when i had my first Cp exam for my hearing. the Dr. said I definately had a hearing imparement, and qualify for va benefits. Saw my VSo yesterday who told me to wait for everything to come back. I am currently still working due to the fact that I have small children in daycare and I did see the other post relating to a few others in that same boat(daycare is a killer). i am having severe problems at my current job due to the fact that I have no long term memory I feel like I am in a daze all day and have semi flashbacks. the VA drugs don't work been on 4 of them so far. i just hope all my CP exams are completed pretty fast as I cannot afford to stop working but feel that I will be termintated due to job performance. any thoughts? thanks again

Matt

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Matt,

Welcome to Hadit and thanks for your service.

As far as your VA benefits go for disability compensation

you are going to need lots of patience.

VA has no time frame to grant or deny claims.

In regards to a Hearing Disability I feel the majority of these claims

are granted service connection at zero percent. A veteran has to

be practically deaf to receive a compensable rating for Hearing loss.

We always suggest getting a copy of your entire claims file.

It will be in your best interest to go to Release of Information at

your VAMC and request a copy of each of your your C&P examinations.

Others will chime in here with more information for you.

carlie

Carile,

thanks, yeah that's about what i expected with the hearing. I just need this to be over, i find it harder and harder to take days off from work get treatment at the VA, which is no where near were I work. I happen to believe my VSO is doing his best job and working for my best interest, but just need this process to work faster, before i lose what's lefts of my sanity.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Matt,

Semper Fi. I have a 2, 3, and 10 yr old. I can't afford daycare either. My daily regiment is 3 oxys 30mg, 1 Zoloft 200mg, 3 ativans 1mg, 8 buspars 20mg, lisinopril 10mg, some stomach drug and sleeping pills. I have severe chronic leg and back pain along with anxiety and panic attacks. My asthma and high blood pressure seem to be the least of my worries. I'm not going to lie. I drink sometimes to get through it. I'm not suggesting you should. I just hope my writing will let you know your not alone. Hopefully if I can hold out for 3 years so I can get TDIU and my wife can go to work. Then my kids will be in school. I can't stay home to watch them now they are too much for me. Everyday I just look forward to seeing my kids when I come home and think about going to bed. I have some sleeping pills now so I get about 3 or 4 hours before I wake up with a panic attack. Just try to reach down just like in the Marine Corps. I know it's a bunch of crap but you made it through that so you can get through anything. Who were you with when you were an 0311? I was with 1st bn 1st Mar 1st Mar Div Motor T. 91-95. Can't truck it xxxx it. Hang in there man. The VA disability system is equivilent to slow torture so you have to keep yourself motivated!

Dav Marine,

thanks for the welcome. I was 0311 with 3/6 from 87 thru 91. To many miles traveled on my dogs with ruck on my back, You know the saying, "Pack light, freeze at night." Originally I went tot he VA in Salisbury NC in 1993 or 94 as part of the Gulf War Syndrome Study. Was seen up until 1998 with PTSD like symptums, however the Dr attributed it to another diagnosis. Whatever, Now they can only go back and find records from 1997. How funny. After the great treatment I got I blew it off. Stayed in Service. To make a long story short, came home from IRAQ, drank myself to sleep for 2years everynight. Finally went tot eh VA for Help, diagnosed with PTSD. Delivered all my civilian files for back problems L4-L5, L5-S1 DDD confirmed with VA and Civ dr. given a Tens unit by VA as well as fitted with a Corset brace. Having severe problems with Knees Bilat patella tendinitis as well as Arthritis, had open knee surgery this past june, that failed so I can barely walk, can barely stand sitting, standing, cannot bend over my wife ties my shoes for me every morning(doubles the laces). I am surprised she is still with me. thsi time around at the VA, they seem more interested in treating me. I take 100MG zoloft, changed it 3 times, some other stuff for my back, which I asked my civ dr if it was better then Aleve, and he suggested I continue taking Aleve. I just need to do something about my back, sometimes it is unbearable. have seen 3 dr's who are not quite at the surgery stage. been to physical therapy for it. Sometimes, I am just at my witts end.

Matt

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Matt,

I hear you. I saw about 5 or 6 DRs from 97-00. No one wanted to touch me until a doc at Yale said yes. I had surgery on L3-4 and L4-5 in 2000. They did a hemi-laminectomies and discectomies at both levels. L5-S1 only had a bulge so they left that one alone. Three months after the surgery I got 100% worse. Not only is my back unstable but I have scar tissue entrapping the nerves at the two levels. I have been getting nerve blocks and just tried a spinal stimulator. Nothing seems to help. No one wants to touch me now of course. I know pain killers are not good but they do take some of the edge off.

• HadIt.com Elder

Try and take your narcotic pain killers before the pain gets really bad because once it gets cranked up it takes more to get it under control. If you prescription says every six hours try and take it on schedule that way you may be able to keep it under control without increasing your dose. If you take it long enough you usually have to increasae the dose due to tolerance. If you are doing ok with your dose you can try and slowly reduce it but don't stop suddenly or drastically reduce your dose or you will start withdrawl and that makes it hurt worse. People have been taking opiates for pain for thousands of years. You can take them all your life and it won't hurt you. The tylenol in the drugs will hurt you worse than the opiate.