VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic

Rate this question

jimlane1949

Question

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are TDIU ten years before you die then spouse is eligible for DIC, or if you die from SC illness. If you die from SC illness the VA has to pay to bury you as well. I know it is a little more complicated than that but that is the basics. Try to die from SC condition. This will let you die with a smile on your face knowing VA has to foot the bill to bury you. The best revenge against an uncaring VA is to make them pay as long as possible and as much as possible.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hope you dont mind if I add my thoughts. These are tough sensitive questions but important for the surviving spouse and family.

Official forms, death certificate, autopsy and obituary for deceased need a clear Service Connection statement made by a active youthful doctor/coroner if possible. Some coroners can confirm data, but sometimes if very senior can 'expire' a short time after certificate was issued. If I recall, DIC is for surviving spouse, possible parents (if active duty) and minor children. I am not up to date on DIC today, but am sure you will research for the facts.

Note, it is my personal experience that a persons death certificate should be doublechecked by 3rd 4th set of 'un biased' eyes Before submission to the state,etc.

What can go wrong with a certificate?

Marriage dates, spouse first middle maiden/married name, deceased name mispelt, first middle and last, dates wrong, birthdate and death, mispelt or wrong doctors name, residence listing, incorrect diagnosis or heaven forbid, wrong service dates, county born or died in. These things bog down a grieving family having to re request or fix up something that often the hospital or funeral home 'helps' with. Some death certificates also cost.

What can a certificate delay or affect? even years later...

VA claims, SSA claims and changes, POA transfers, wills, bank, credit union accounts, home title.mortgages, automobile, stocks/bonds, insurance, joint personal loans, church records, transfer of utility services to a surviving spouses name, also as an update to the widow(er)s living will, new identification cards, passports and medical billing.

Hope this helps, sorry its detailed, but this is my experience as a active duty widow and with recently deceased relatives.

Warm Hugs,

Cg

Edited by cowgirl