Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Group Thearpy Appointments

Rate this question

Alb

Question

Have been going to group therapy for PTSD/MST. Trying for P&T on next C&P exam in two years. Does it hurt your chances to get P&T if you are going through treatment because they can say I have improved by treatment because of what the doctor puts in your medical records. Is it better not to go as much to group therapy, and just back off and say you cannot handle it. Will the va reduce my percentage because of not going through treatment? The C&P examiner recommended a in-treatment program. If I dont go to that program, are they going to hold that against me for a future C&P?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Alp,I am not trying to tell you that you don't need help,but by attending ptsd counseling will not get you a permanent and total rating,like i said on your other post it take psy to state that your ptsd will not get better.These new PTSd programs that the va give now,is suppose to make you better.The va can't hold that against you.Remember this, that a C&P is given to find out if your ptsd have got better of worst.

• HadIt.com Elder

They can always say that you are "non-compliant" if you don't "take your medicine", whether that medicine comes in a bottle or comes in the form of some sort of therapy.

The point that you need to make, throughout these processes, these C&P's and any claims that you have pending, is the fact that, just because you are "taking your medicine/therapy, etc." does NOT mean that you are "CURED" by any means. They need to know that, sometimes, as with what happened with me, while undergoing "group therapy", that the therapy itself caused me to suffer some very bad "side effects" just like can happen while taking the drugs that they like to hand out. It in no way "CURED" me....but, instead, had the very reverse effect.

You simply need to point out that, even if it is making you APPEAR to be better, that all it really is doing is masking the disability that you would still be showing, otherwise.

I finally had to back off completely in one of my group therapy sessions (I went over this with my psychiatrist (VA), and he totally supported my complaint/decision to cease this particular therapy (before I choked the living shit outta two "don't ask-don't tells" that had "taken over" the therapy sessions)).

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

To some extent being non-compliant means you are lacking in "insight" which means you are sicker. Going for therapy or taking drugs just means that you are getting treatment. That means you are documenting your illness/injury. But as has been said what you need to get P&T is for your doctor to say you are P&T.