Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Question

Rate this question

purple

Question

I don't intend for this topic to become an argument. Just something I've been wondering for a very long time and want to get the opinion of others.

I know a vet who is receiving benefits at the 100% SC rate because this vet was in a severe vehicle accident while on duty. So far so good right? Here's the problem. This vet was drunk on duty. This vet's injuries were so severe that he was in a coma for weeks and has permanent brain injuries. He has admitted to several ppl (including me) that he crashed the military vehicle he was driving because he was drunk.

I don't believe he should be receiving benefits.

Thoughts?

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Excuse me Carlie, I don't want to get too far off thread here. However, the photo collage spoliate issue is interesting as well. It sounds like a one of a kind relic. Maybe a local DAV or VFW, AL, post could donate the funds to have it duplicated professionally. I have a 22' photo collage in the shape of the Wall, stored away here. Its a couple of decades old now and preservation is very important. The history of the Vietnam war was not taught to our children in schools. Maybe a paragraph or a chapter in a school book, once in a while. Your friend's collage will be priceless in a few generations

• HadIt.com Elder

When I was in Vietnam in 1970 there was so much heroin that everyone I knew at the lower enlisted level was using it. It was a environmental hazard like AO in my opinion. It was so addictive that if you snorted it for two weeks you became addicted. I know this from experience. I came back home and friends from high school who had gone to Vietnam were using heroin they imported from Thailand. It was a menace, and the only way to stop it was to get the heck out of Vietnam before the whole army got addicted. I do remember pulling guard duty with guys who were completely wasted. If you said a thing about it you would probably get shot in the back or blown up. I think it got worse, if that was possible, after I left. They say that once you are addicted your brain changes and you are much more likely to get addicted again if exposed to the drug.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes John I can remember all to well. It had a powerful presence when I was there and I am glad it did not take control of me. I rememeber it looked like detergent and just as cheap. Ten dollars for a gram of pure "china white", you could smoke it, snort it, shoot it. I never graduated to the last one and perhaps that saved my life. I refused to let myself slip into that abyss. I was playing with the devil. I saw so many people go home junkies, all ranks, all mos, all colors, I kept telling myself I do not want to lose control and be like that. There is a lot more to the story, but not going there. Never did or see drugs until I went to VN. I dont think most people have a clue as to the power it has. People make comparisons of nicotone to heroin, not even close. My participation may have been willful misconduct and a choice that I am not emberassed to say I made. Would I have done this if I had not gone to VN, highley unlikely. Some people make bad choices in life and I have made my share. And if someone were to tell me that because I experimented with heroin and that what caused PTSD. I wouldn't dignify that with a reply. I may seem angry, well I am. I and hundreds of thousand other kids were put in harms way for no good reason. Just to line some fat politicians or ceo pockets with c-notes. I.m sorry I wasnt ready to see bloated bodies, the smell of death, the waste everything... I better quit, sorry I am going off.

T&B