VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnostic Code Criteria /diagnostic Code Criteria / 5010 Arthritis, Due To Trauma, Substantiated By X-ray Findings Rate As Arthritis, Degenerative. D

Rate this question

mjofdagame

Question

Can anyone tell me what this means in the simplest form please.This came in the mail today.

Diagnostic Code Criteria

/

5010 Arthritis, due to trauma, substantiated by X-ray findings

Rate as arthritis, degenerative.

Degenerative arthritis established by X-ray findings will be rated on the basis of limitation of motion under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joint or joints involved (DC 5200 etc.). When however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the appropriate diagnostic codes, a rating of 10 pet is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5003. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion. In the absence of limitation of motion, rate as below:

With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups, with occasional incapacitating exacerbations...20

With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups...10

Note (1): The 20 pet and 10 pet ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be combined with ratings based on limitation of motion.

Note(2): The 20 pet and 10 pet ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be utilized in rating conditions listed under diagnostic code 5013 to 5024, inclusive.

§4.45 The joints

As regards the joints the factors of disability reside in reductions of their normal excursion of movements in different planes. Inquiry will be directed to these considerations:

(a) Less movement than normal (due to ankylosis, limitation or blocking, adhesions, tendon-tie-up, contracted scars, etc.).

(:lol: More movement than normal (from flail joint, resections, nonunion of fracture, relaxation of ligaments, etc.).

© Weakened movement (due to muscle injury, disease or injury of peripheral nerves, divided or lengthened tendons, etc.).

(d) Excess fatigability.

(e) Incoordination, impaired ability to execute skilled movements smoothly.

(f) Pain on movement, swelling, deformity or atrophy of disuse. Instability of station, disturbance of locomotion, interference with sitting, standing and weight-bearing are related considerations. For the purpose of rating disability from arthritis, the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, and ankle are considered major joints; multiple involvements of the interphalangeal, metacarpal and carpal joints of the upper extremities, the interphalangeal, metatarsal and tarsal joints of the lower extremities, the cervical vertebrae, the dorsal vertebrae, and the lumbar vertebrae, are considered groups of minor joints, ratable on a parity with major joints. The lumbosacral articulation and both sacroiliac joints are considered to be a group of minor joints, ratable on disturbance of lumbar spine functions.

/

5010 Arthritis, due to trauma, substantiated by X-ray findings

Rate as arthritis, degenerative.

Degenerative arthritis established by X-ray findings will be rated on the basis of limitation of motion under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joint or joints involved (DC 5200 etc.). When however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the appropriate diagnostic codes, a rating of 10 pet is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5003. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion. In the absence of limitation of motion, rate as below:

With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups, with occasional incapacitating exacerbations...20

With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups...10

Note (1): The 20 pet and 10 pet ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be combined with ratings based on limitation of motion.

Note(2): The 20 pet and 10 pet ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be utilized in rating conditions listed under diagnostic code 5013 to 5024, inclusive.

§4.45 The joints

As regards the joints the factors of disability reside in reductions of their normal excursion of movements in different planes. Inquiry will be directed to these considerations:

(a) Less movement than normal (due to ankylosis, limitation or blocking, adhesions, tendon-tie-up, contracted scars, etc.).

(:lol: More movement than normal (from flail joint, resections, nonunion of fracture, relaxation of ligaments, etc.).

© Weakened movement (due to muscle injury, disease or injury of peripheral nerves, divided or lengthened tendons, etc.).

(d) Excess fatigability.

(e) Incoordination, impaired ability to execute skilled movements smoothly.

(f) Pain on movement, swelling, deformity or atrophy of disuse. Instability of station, disturbance of locomotion, interference with sitting, standing and weight-bearing are related considerations. For the purpose of rating disability from arthritis, the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, and ankle are considered major joints; multiple involvements of the interphalangeal, metacarpal and carpal joints of the upper extremities, the interphalangeal, metatarsal and tarsal joints of the lower extremities, the cervical vertebrae, the dorsal vertebrae, and the lumbar vertebrae, are considered groups of minor joints, ratable on a parity with major joints. The lumbosacral articulation and both sacroiliac joints are considered to be a group of minor joints, ratable on disturbance of lumbar spine functions.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

It sounds like it hurts. Are you rated for your back also? What happened?

Commander Bob 92-93'

yes it hurts especially on cold and rainy days.no i am not rated for my back.I fractured my ankle,had acl & mcl reconstruction on my right knee,and last but not least i think i broke my big toe right foot.

Thank you Commander Bob 92-93'

• HadIt.com Elder
we all are entitled to our beliefs. Its a shame most only think of themselves, when they claim they are here for others. I guess it helps them with their problems though.

Old Texas saying: " There is more than one way to get to a train station." In winning your claim, you can do it yourself, let the VA do it for you, or get a NSO or VSO or agent. However, the most important component, is for the veteran to be proactive. Use all the tools and teammates you can muster, to help you prove your claim. Websites like Hadit, and old soldiers included.

I thank you Scout2/2ACR, for your efforts and your service to your fellow veterans. However, to succeed, in the end, the vets are going to have to follow through for themselves. Some of us can help and some of us can give moral support. We all can contribute our two cents.

post-4811-1233282946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

I just have to add one thing, does the VSo work for you or the VA? It is impossible to know and changes depending on the person , day of the week and a hundred other things. There are good and bad VSO's I am sure and the only one I have spoken to gives the VA briefs to every person going through ACAP at Fort Knox, and tells them alot of very good info, makes appts and sees every Soldier who asks/takes his advice to meet with him prior to the retirement/seperation physical to arrange records and help with identifying claim items. He is very pushy towards making us do the right thing for us, and so for that, this VSO is working for us. The guy just drawing a paycheck and pissed at vets because he initially started in the VA because he cared and wanted to help, then met some angry vets pissed off at the VA and then slowly changed due to the typecast put on him and his collegues is the type who works for the VA. I think the last VSO never cared, never will, and is also working for the VA and not us. Which have you bumped into? Which have you helped make? I think that in general, just like in all customer service fields, you can get burnt out by being unappreciated and grouped into a bad catagory. Have any of you thanked a VSO a year or two after winning this or that? I dont see any posts in here praising the VA employees but there are an awful lot bashing them. I am not saying they do a great job, but ya get more with sugar than salt................. Maybe we can do more by what our actions are, even if they disapprove our claims, maybe the NEXT guy can get what they deserve. The VA problem is not OUR fault, but the question is what can we do to help fix it?