• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Evr And Medical Expenses

Rate this question

Josh

Question

EVR and Medical Expense reporting.

Greetings all,

Wanted to get input from someone who may know information on the following.

I have had to make numerous trips to/from medical appointments this past year, How much is allowed for milage for those appointments and medically related travel appointments, laboratory tests etc?

Josh

[font=Verdana]

Joseph Hertrich (Josh)

Cartagena Colombia

Boulder Colorado

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Josh

do you mean medical mileage for tax purposes, then I think it is around 47 cents a mile, as they just raised it, a couple of months back, easy to check out on IRS site, as for the rest you asked about, then it used to be, you had to file long form, and be able to deduct the whole amount, but haven't had earned income in 11 years, so maybe laws have changed, if you mean what the VA pays you then, that is 11 cents a mile

Here are the IRS mileage changes for tax year 2005.

In 2005, for the first time ever, the IRS adjusted the standard mileage rate during the year to reflect increases in the price of gasoline. From Jan. 1 to Aug. 31, the standard mileage rate for business use of a car, van, pick-up or panel truck was 40.5 cents a mile, compared to 37.5 cents a mile in 2004. Effective Sept. 1, the rate increased to 48.5 cents a mile.

From Jan. 1 to Aug. 31, the standard mileage rate for the cost of operating a vehicle for medical reasons or as part of a deductible move was 15 cents a mile, up from 14 cents in 2004. On Sept. 1, the rate rose to 22 cents. The rate for providing services to charitable organizations is set by law and remains at 14 cents a mile.

15 cents from Jan to Aug 31 and 22 cents from Sept 1 to Dec 31.

Guest allanopie

<H2 style="MARGIN: auto 0in">25.06 TRANSPORTATION INCIDENT TO OUTPATIENT TREATMENT</H2>a. General. All travel is subject to limitations in subparagraph 25.04a.

b. Transportation, including lodging, subsistence, ambulance and attendant travel, will be authorized eligible beneficiaries traveling to or from a VA health care facility or other place for outpatient examination or treatment, including dental care, as provided in 38 CFR 17.100. The facility providing or authorizing the care on an outpatient or ambulatory care basis will pay the expenses of travel.

c. No return travel will be supplied a beneficiary who terminates an outpatient visit prior to services being completed unless the person completes a sworn statement, on VA Form 70-2323, of inability to defray such expense.

d. Travel expenses for a patient receiving outpatient care under 38 CFR 17.60 may be authorized provided the patient is eligible for such reimbursement under 38 CFR 17.100.

e. A patient who is being provided transportation at VA expense, incident to OPT-PBC (Outpatient Treatment-Pre Bed Care) or OPT-AC (Outpatient Treatment- Ambulatory Care), may be authorized transportation for admission without redetermining eligibility for such VA expense.

f. Those cases where OPT-NSC (Outpatient Treatment-Nonservice-Connected) or OPT-NBC (Outpatient Treatment-Non-bed Care) will be provided by another VA health care facility, an eligible OPT-NSC (Outpatient

Treatment-Nonservice-Connected) patient will be furnished transportation to the place of residence by the releasing health care facility. The patient will be informed that the receiving health care facility will furnish notification of appointment date and authorization for travel, as indicated.

g. A patient who is eligible for travel reimbursement, incident to OPT-NSC (Outpatient Treatment -- Nonservice-Connected) or OPT-NBC (Outpatient Treatment - Non-bed Care), may be authorized transportation for hospital readmission when medically indicated to observe progress, modify treatment or reinstitute a form of inpatient care without redetermining eligibility for such travel at VA expense.

h. Transportation will be authorized otherwise eligible OPT-NBC patients when determined necessary in connection with their receiving NBC (non-bed care).

i. In those cases where NBC (non-bed care) will be provided by another VA health care facility, the patient will be furnished transportation to the place of residence by the releasing health care facility and informed that the receiving health care facility will furnish notification of appointment date, and authorization for travel, as indicated.

j. Transportation at VA expense for the readmission of otherwise eligible NBC (non-bed care) patients may be authorized.

k. If a beneficiary, through their own free will, fails to report to the receiving facility, or refuses treatment after arriving at the receiving facility, appropriate action will be taken to recoup any Government monies expended to effect such travel.

l. Transportation at VA expense will not be authorized an eligible beneficiary for the purpose of outpatient treatment rendered under the provisions of 38 CFR 17.60, when payment of the travel allowance would be counterproductive to the therapy being provided.

m. The physician in charge of the patient will make the determination, with respect to eligible veterans receiving outpatient treatment. The basis for each determination made will be recorded in the patient's medical record. The chief of the service concerned will review the determination and indicate approval by signature in the medical record prior to effecting this decision.