Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spine Claim Questions

Rate this question

rdnkjeeper

Question

I am new here and been reading information on this site for the last couple of days. There is so much information here that it has made my head spin. A little history so maybe someone can help me ask for the right things. I hit a towel bar in the military on my middle back and a few days later I was playing racketball and jumped to get the ball and went numb from my chest down. Spent three days on bedrest. I do have all the records supporting this. These injuries occured a few months before getting out. The Dr at my final physical told me to keep my mouth shut about my back, until I get got out and then put in a claim with the VA.

I got out and put a claim in with the VA, it took them about a year and service connected my middle back with chronic muscle spasms. I have been complaining about my back for years, but the VA didn't want to do anything. I opened a claim in June about connecting my lower back. I started noticing shooting pains down both legs for about a year before opening a claim. The VA got a new Dr at the clinic I go to. He said he reviewed my records and found that I have had back issues for years and what did any Dr say was wrong with my back. I told him muscle spasms....he then asked if I had had an MRI, told him no. He was shocked and order one right away.

The MRI showed that I have......(will type in the report and maybe someone will help me decode it)

Finding:

Thoracic spine: There is preservation of vertebral body height and alighment throughout the thoracic spine. The bone marrow signal is unremarkable. The thoracic cord demonstrates normal caliber and signal. There is a prominent central disc herniation at T9/T10 resulting in a mild indentation of the cord at this level. There is also a disc herniation, asymmetric to the right resulting in narrowing of the right portion of the thecal sac at T3/T4. Disc bulges are also present at T4/T5, T7/T8, T8/T9, and T11/T12.

Lumbar spine: There is preservation of vertebral body height and alignment throughout the lumbar spine. The bone marrwow signal is unremarkable. There is a loss of T2 signal within the L4/L5 and the space height at L5/S1. There is a focus of increased T2 signal within the posterior aspect of the L5/S1 disc compatible with annular tear. The conus ends at L1. No abnormal conal signal is present.

The L1/L2 and L2/L3 levels were not image in the axial plane but appear unremarkable on sagittal images.

L3/L4: There is a diffuse posterior disc bulge with bilateral facet hypertrophy in mild to moderate central canal and mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

L4/L5: There is a left posterolateral disc herniation resulting in mild narrowing of the left lateral recess and mild left neural foraminal stenosis.

L5/S1: There is a central disc herniation resulting in mild central canal stenosis.

Impression:

Multilevel degenerative changes are present as described within the thoracic and lumbar spine.

Like I said my head is spinning so any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I plan on waiting until this claim is done then opening another or appealing depending on what happens. Sorry for such a long post, but I also need to know what to ask for. I don't know what I am entitled to. They are pushing for surgery on the T9/T10 one right now. I am really nervous because I am the only bread winner in my house and if I can't work after the surgery what am I going to do? I have not decided if I am going to have surgery or not, but it is getting harder and harder to make it through a shift at work.

Thanks everyone.

• Answers 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Where I live in Michigan there isn't much to do with the automotive industry. Cold and snow in the winter and warm and bugs in the summer. :lol:

Too bad we couldn't have bugs in the winter instead. They would have a lot tuffer time chewing on us through the winter coat.

Spinal stenosis DOES NOT EVER get better. Whoever told that is full of BS. A herniated disc can improve, but ligamentum flavum hypertrophy is your friend for life. The only way to slow the progression of this degenerative condition is through surgery. Also, once the nerves have been inpinged for a short time, less than a few months, that damage is permanent and irrepairable. This is your spinal cord we're talking about here, not a busted knee or broke arm.

Truckdriver...being under a doctor's care won't get you any kind of a rating. You have to actually be prescribed BED REST for those periods of time within a 12 month period, then you will have to have the same prescribed amount of bed rest the next 12 months to keep the VA from reducing your award. The vast majority of spine claims are rated solely on loss of range of motion. Time after a fusion will count as precribed bed rest, if the doc actually did prescribe bed rest, in those exact words. If those words aren't used, I wouldn't hold my breathe. Also, after a surgery like that, you are eligible for the 100% convelescent rate for a certain period of time. You would have to have that condition already sc'd, though.

If what you say is accurate, regarding permanent and irrepairable nerve damage, then the DVA is up shit creek, because I injured myself on the job, and OWCP better quit delaying my claim.

I'm getting fed up with this f*cking gov't.!

It is a matter of survival.

I don't know a lot about workers rights. I was always working. All I have, for you, is what I did. I have spinal stenosis, my back was broken in two places, and TBI while in service. I did not even know the full extent of these injuries until recently. I have lived in pain vs. suicide, with mental and social problems, so I know that it can be done up to a point.

When I was a service injured young man, I lucked it out and got into machining metal (Machine Tool Shop) in a large company. After Viet Nam service it seems that good manufacturing jobs (Trades) were occupied by many Veterans.

Other WW1 and WW2 Vets told me stories of how during the 'Great Depression' people were sleeping in cardboard boxes all around, and they told how they kept their homes, living fairly comfortably, working as tooling machinist. They taught me a lot more about many things.

These older Vets gave me everything they had in the way of passing down the machining trade to me. I learned things about machining metals and other materials that large companies don't even know today.

I was able to go to school (college), and other trade schools (Paid more than I needed, with the GI Bill). After service I was reading at an 8 grade level, don't know how I went down so many levels after service, I had to work harder at learning than most. The rest of my life was totally crap, socially.

I worked while I was going to school. I drank full time, closet, for pain self-medication. I went to jail several times for drinking, got divorced; I was always able to keep my job. I got help for this problem five years after getting out of service, no help from the VA Los Angeles, and moved on with my life. Shame the VA did not help me back then. I found AA, and continue to be without drink for 34 years now. I am not religious.

Machining is not a back-breaking trade. Every time I made a different part, it was as if I were being creative, even though the engineering was on the print. As an apprentice machinist I was on my own developing my own skills for four years. Latter I went to CNC (Computer Operated Numerical Control) schools. CNC is just the same machines controlled with computers. CNC is not really complicated at all. The government (GI bill) and companies that I worked for paid for all these schools.

I worked until I could not work anymore. I moved to Arkansas. The VA (Arkansas) did not let me down, although it did take time to get my claims approved. I love the machining trade. With my back pay I paid off my bills, I built a building, shop with sleeping quarters, and had the idea that I could teach CNC to Veterans. The Contractor is still working on the building, almost finished.

I asked my congressman if there was a grant that I could buy a couple of machines so I could help other Vets learn the trade. I was not even interested in being paid. I told the grant person that I am building the Shop/school right now. I taught CNC and programming, in a California college, while running my business and managing (manufacturing manager) of another large company.

It was as if I was pulling a tooth, and the grant person said 'What do you have some kind of invention that you are making, with a few other accusations, and after his scolding, he told me 'no way.' I asked him what my congressman was doing about Vets suicides. He mumbled of some kind of Bull Shit. We have couple bulls now and I know what it looks and smells like.

This congressional grant person said that only colleges could get these kinds of grants. We have the University of Arkansas and a few other colleges here, but their machining and CNC programs are nothing more than a description of what CNC is. Mostly Agricultural crafts are taught in Arkansas.

Think only the colleges can help suicidal Vets?? I don't think SO. I know that Colleges are only interested in making money...They aren't even interested in teaching...While a college instructor, I was even told to dumb it down too keep them coming back.

My son is also an accomplished CNC machinist. This could be my back-up. He has had all the schools I have and Master CAM also, while working in the trade for several years.

Well I have a beautiful building. Guess I will figure out something to do with it. I have talked to a few CNC dealer companies about getting machines and they did say they had some kind of program. Guess I will call them back today. These machines are expensive, but they are worth it to help other Vets have a life. This is not a pipe dream, I will find a way. In this way I can help myself around my depressions while sitting down.

My whole point here is that Manufacturing is coming back to the USA. When China collapses we are going to have to go back to making our own products. Vietnam Vet machinist are finally leaving the trade for one reason or another, mostly coming to the end with disabilities. The opportunity is even greater for younger machinist Vets. WW2 machinist Vets have already left the trade leaving a huge gap.

I listened to the Michigan Governor on TV yesterday (Chris Mathews..Hardball) talking about how auto manufacturing was coming back to Michigan. The Governor remarked of how Michigan did not have enough CNC machinist trained to do the work. The Governor was very excited about money coming to her state. She also remarked about the great need for making wind turbine products in her state. Why would you want to move away from the greatest most exciting opportunity in your life, unless you have too?

It has been only recently that I have experienced what it is like being home with my wife and three grandchildren for a couple of weeks. Save yourself...Get medical help…Go to work /school…If you can. Don't ever give up on claims though.

If you are interested in this line of thought, let me know.

Damn...Stretch...

You had one hell of a life! It's good to know though, that you found you niche!

I agree, machine shop work is challenging.

I to am mechanically inclined.

Years ago, I worked at Ruggles Performance Products, and we build Grnad National V6 engines. I totally enjoyed that job, unfortunately, my hip with a deformed head, and pin penetration didn't agree.

I used to prep the blocks for longer throw cranks and carrila conn rods, by notching cylinders, prep the face of the block for gear drives, modify front covers, rockwell test Comp Cams, Magnuflux, etc, etc, etc.!

You can tell that I truly enjoyed the job because the knowledge still remains.

At present, I'm slowly restoring a 1976 Buick Skyhawk as my hobby. Even though I don't have CNC machines, or drill presses, lathes, etc, I do manage making parts for this car!

Like you, there's a feeling of Pride, Accomplishment, and Self Gratification when the parts fit and work perfectly!

My ONLY weakness...BODY WORK! I hate it, and it sucks! That will have to be sent out!

Anyway, I hope that your dream comes true. Did you check on the Small Business Administration for a Grant? You can charge Veterans something like a $5.00 per day fee for training. This could be a business, and your Son could be considered as your employee.

Furthermore, you can perform tasks for local citizens, requiring your service. Vet's can learn a whole lot.

Anyway, that's just 'Food for Thought'!

Take Care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wish I was still able to turn wrenches with stamina. I have tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools gathering dust. The most I do now is teach my 11 year old how to change oil and brakes. I miss working on aircraft and my own toys. I also miss being able to sit at a desk long enough to write the news and make deadlines. That was the VA's voc rehab plan for me. It worked well for a few short years, and then I go to where I couldn't even do that.

Lesson to all readers: Don't play around with your back. If it hurts to do something, stop doing that something. Not in a few minutes, not when the job is done, but right then! Get to a doc, get a diagnosis, and get treatment. If you have to suck it up and stop working (even at a young age) do it. It is better than the alternative of sitting in a wheelchair due to paralysis at the age of 40 or 45.

90%, TDIU P&T

• In Memoriam

I went to the VA for diagnosis (1984) and they said my back is fine, right after a company refused to hire me because I had a back back. I never told them anything about my back. The company doctor could tell by the way I was standing. They did Xrays and the whole bit. The company, Martin Mariette, said that I could not lift over 10 pounds. They must have found out I was a VN Vet.

Rental is right about doing something about it now, but don't go to a VA doctor to find out what the problem is. You might not get a correct diagnosis.

Hollywoodnc,

I just felt I had to qualify my idea before anyone thought I was more mentally screwed up than I already am.

To my way of thinking I owe this to Vets. I made everything from Harley belt drive and sprocket parts to space shuttle parts; every thing in between. Made parts from 1/32" up to 40' Long. I made the first law rocket tooling and most parts for the first machine that made the explosion device in air bags.

None of that really matters anymore. What really matters is passing it on, as long as I can. It didn't cost me anything. The last thing I would want to do is make parts. As long as I can hold a piece of chalk, I can try to pass it on, even if sporadically. This will have to be my hobby/therapy. I don't even need the machines except to build the confidence a Vet needs to give it a try.

Maybe it is just a dream.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity