Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aid Blessed

Rate this topic

danang_1969

Got my new VA hearing aid. I am hearing noises that I haven't heard in almost 40 years. My wife is tickled because I have the TV volume at 35 dbs lower than before. It only took me two years from point of first hearing test to get it but I am thankful for it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
Got my new VA hearing aid. I am hearing noises that I haven't heard in almost 40 years. My wife is tickled because I have the TV volume at 35 dbs lower than before. It only took me two years from point of first hearing test to get it but I am thankful for it.

No more" WHAAAAAT". Sometimes we don't know what we have lost, until we get it back. Congratulations danang. I lost my hearing and sense of taste for a while last year. I think's it's back now. Hearing, along with taste are interesting senses, that many of us take for granted.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

Great. You will need to "maintain" your hearing aids. Most of them have vent holes..and those tend to get clogged with wax. I use one of those nylon "price tag" holders off of a pair of jeans. You can push that piece of nylon (fishing line may also work) through the vent in the hearing aids to help keep the wax out of there. Your hearing aids wont work if the vent clogs up with wax.

Also, you can order your aid batteries from the VA. Your audiologist should give you a card..you mail that card to VA probably in Denver..do that a couple months before you run out of batteries. I think they send you six months supply of batteries and then you have to order another six months supply.

Dont let your hearing aids get wet, if possible. If you do wash them in the washing machine, they might still work..I did that once but dont recommend it.

If you have trouble with your hearing aids..and you tried cleaning em, and new batteries, then take them to your audiologist..sometimes they have to send em back to get fixed.

Be real careful about loosing your aids..mine do not work well with the phone, and I usually have to take them out when talking on the phone...so I tend to leave my aids near the phone.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a class called "Living with hearing loss" in our area.

It lasts about a week, but is worth it.

Finally, if your wife yells at you turn off your hearing aids!

Your family may notice YOU talk more quieter when you have your hearing aids in.

Be careful around water. I went to take a shower, forgot I had them in and got them a little wet before! Came out ok, I took batteries out and let them dry per instructions. Enjoy.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use