VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nerve Blocks

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike and Boats

I got the facet joint blocks. They are epidural injections of a steroid near the spine. I am sore today. I know that they work for some, and not for others. Surgery works for some, and not for others regarding pain reduction. You can have a perfect outcome of a surgery, and then be in more pain than before. I am going to go back to PT and try again because I do have DDD, but the MRI just does not look that bad, but man it hurts me. I hurt when I sit for long periods especially driving any distance. When I stand up straight my back does not hurt, and when I walk my back does not hurt. I tend to stiffen up after activity and then my back gives me a fit.

Surgery seems to be more for those who have lost ROM or who have pain running down the legs from the back. My pain is right in my lower back especially increasing stiffness and soreness as the day wears on.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike and Boats

I got the facet joint blocks. They are epidural injections of a steroid near the spine. I am sore today. I know that they work for some, and not for others. Surgery works for some, and not for others regarding pain reduction. You can have a perfect outcome of a surgery, and then be in more pain than before. I am going to go back to PT and try again because I do have DDD, but the MRI just does not look that bad, but man it hurts me. I hurt when I sit for long periods especially driving any distance. When I stand up straight my back does not hurt, and when I walk my back does not hurt. I tend to stiffen up after activity and then my back gives me a fit.

Surgery seems to be more for those who have lost ROM or who have pain running down the legs from the back. My pain is right in my lower back especially increasing stiffness and soreness as the day wears on.

Yep, I have had 3 injections and they can be painful be relieving, if I am correct they inject a numbing agent along with the cortisone shot that follows. Depending on you pain factors it could last as long as 2 or 3 months to 2 or 3 hours or possibly in some cases hurt you worse. also so your can not have no more than 3 injections in one years these shots can also sometimes worse than the disease if they keep pumpin it into your back..Good luck ..Rick

I had the shots as well, and they helped for a few weeks. I am now looking to Radio/Frequency, R/F, where they fry the nerves leading to my neck causing the pain. Not so sure I want to let the VA do this, but the pain is pretty unbearable some days. Getting by on Tramadol and PT for now, along with my TENS unit. I hope they work out for you John. Keep us updated.

I had the shots as well, and they helped for a few weeks. I am now looking to Radio/Frequency, R/F, where they fry the nerves leading to my neck causing the pain. Not so sure I want to let the VA do this, but the pain is pretty unbearable some days. Getting by on Tramadol and PT for now, along with my TENS unit. I hope they work out for you John. Keep us updated.

Darn, shoot, crap. This does'nt sound good any way you twist it. I was asked by my pcp if I would like a cortisone shot in my shoulders, I said no, i don't think so. Now I know.I hate needles to.

• 3 weeks later...
Darn, shoot, crap. This does'nt sound good any way you twist it. I was asked by my pcp if I would like a cortisone shot in my shoulders, I said no, i don't think so. Now I know.I hate needles to.

I have had numerous shots in my shoulders they hurt very little, have them use the freeze stuff on you, this is much less painful then the esi or faceut shots, there really painful when they inject the steroid by my experience they are a 10/10 but its for a couple of seconds then its gone.

If you ice the injection site for a good 24 hrs you will have less pain or soreness at the site.

Without the shots, I would not be able to raise my shoulders above waist level.

I got nerve blocks in my lower back today from a private pain doctor. It is quit painful now, and I had to take a number of pain killers. I am hoping this will help. I am going to start a new PT program for my back. I am just willing to try almost anything short of surgery.

John,

Next time try icing down that area after the injection. If your like me they will refuse to do surgery, they said my back is in too bad of shape and I won't benefit from it. They would have to rod my entire spine. Talk about being straight as an arrow. My mind is too crooked to have something that straight connected to it.

I addressed the VA pain doc in another thread, she has nothing really to do with the second floor idiots and she is one of the best I have ever worked with.

After they did my SI joints they hurt for a solid 2 days even after I iced them, but it worked for 2 months it was definitely worth the discomfort.

Ruby