Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Exagerated Ptsd Symptoms

Rate this question

Gratefulmess

Question

I have recently taken the Minnesota Personality Test and in the review the doctor wrote that I showed "exagerated PTSD symptoms". I do not recall any questions that touched on PTSD since they were all True or False. Is this test really accurate and will it affect my appeal that I am seeking SC increase for PTSD which I am diagnosed with rather than the SC anxiety disorder that I am rated at?

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Get a copy of the MMPI and have a psychologist evaluate the result. The MMPI is a pretty good test. I don't know what the term "exagerated PTSD symptoms" means. It could mean the doctor believes you are exagerating the extent of your symptoms or it could mean you have results that are higher for PTSD symptoms than so-called normal people. What the MMPI does is compare you answers to people who have definite dianoses of PTSD and other emotional disorders. The more your answers resemble theirs the more likely you have PTSD, or other disorders. Their are certain questions in the test to sort of weed out people who try to exagerate their symptoms, and also those who try to hide their symptoms. They are not all obvious.

will it affect my appeal that I am seeking SC increase for PTSD which I am diagnosed with rather than the SC anxiety disorder that I am rated at?

*You can only be rated for one MH disability and it should be the most disabling one.

MH disabilities can be comorbid or something like that, meaning they inter-mingle with one another,

such as depression & PTSD.

All MH disorders (except I think eating disorders) fall under the same Schedule for Rating Disabilities.

I would file for an increase under whatever diagnostic code I was currently rated under

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

you don't have anything to worry about, because you will not be rated for PTSD since you are already rated for anxiety disorder. This claim may raise red flags to the VARO, however, and they will most likely want to look at the current level of disability regarding your sc'd anxiety. Most likely, the following is what the psych was referring to:

link to article

90%, TDIU P&T

you don't have anything to worry about, because you will not be rated for PTSD since you are already rated for anxiety disorder. This claim may raise red flags to the VARO, however, and they will most likely want to look at the current level of disability regarding your sc'd anxiety. Most likely, the following is what the psych was referring to:

link to article

Thank you all for your replys. The reason I am concerned about the PTSD issue is because that is what I was originally diagnosed with and denied in 1996. My latest SC diagnosis after 5 years of appeals and a BVA hearing resulted in a C&P that was rated as "30% Social Anxiety". I retained a lawyer who is shooting for the PTSD diagnosis of which would be retro to 1996. I have been part of a PTSD group and currently have 1 on 1's with a VA Psychologist. This review makes me feel like they're saying I'm full of BS, and I have been nothing but honest. I had 3 denials and chose to take a BVA hearing to present my claim; and the judge verified all of my stressors which the VARO failed to acknowledge. I'm just feeling railroaded one more time.

"and the judge verified all of my stressors which the VARO failed to acknowledge"

Do you mean the JSRRC report that verified your stressors?

I see you are NSC in your profile-

is the 30 % social anxiety a NSC or a SC rating?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

This recent finding may also be an opportunity for you to request an increase in your rating. Whether thru an NOD off the latest decision or formal request to the VA.